July 25, 2008

Google PageRank to Update This Week

Over at his blog today, Google staffer Matt Cutts has revealed that the big G is about to roll out an update to their Toolbar PageRank values. From his post:

“Hey folks, I wanted to let you know that new toolbar PageRank values should become visible over the next few days. I’m expecting that also in the next few days that we’ll be expiring some older penalties on websites.”

This is sure to cause both panic and excitement in the hearts of webmasters obsessed with the little green bar and what it says about their sites. The SEO community alos love to discuss Toolbar PageRank updates ad nauseum so don’t be surprised to see PageRank fever hit the social media sites over the next week.

20 Responses to “Google PageRank to Update This Week

[…] is about to update their Toolbar PageRank values and you know what that means. Obsessive webmasters and SEOs panicking about the little green bar. […]

avatar Google PageRank to Update This Week | Search Engine Optimization says:

[…] Please be aware that this is not a new algorithm rollout, but merely a refreshing of data in their existing algorithm. To learn more about the difference between Google’s data refreshes (like this one) and updates to their algorithm, see Matt’s post on the subject. Credit:Google PageRank to Update This Week […]

That’s some great news. I am looking forward to seeing how this works out.

avatar Rick Blackmon says:

I saw this a couple of days ago in one of the fora I visit. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

avatar Zax Stevens says:

Good old G, I bet there’s going to be a real fluctuation in PR numbers and only when the dust has settled will we know for sure who has scored the best, and worst.

Construction vip, exclusive and elite house-villas, cotteges

About time!

I wonder if the Google PageRank will be more accurate this time as to the actual rank of sites like perhaps displaying something like 3.5 or negative values for banned sites.

Well, just a wishful thinking. But maybe…

Google is very intresting and nice site in the world.

avatar Eric says:

I doubt about it and have not seen any updates.

avatar B.P. Bear says:

With each passing day I find myself doing MORE searches at Yahoo, Live, Ask and other 2nd Tier engines – and fewer and fewer at Google. Freedom from this tyranny of Google’s algorithmic whims, starts with Me, You, Everyone choosing to search ELSEWHERE. Regardless how gentle or harsh you might think this Search Behemoth has become – it’s still a MONSTER that is best reckoned with by simply being IGNORED. :)

avatar Paul says:

Yet again a lot of fuss about very little, our shopping site went from a 4 to a 0 last time for no other reason than we added 2000 pages of products, which of cause drained away the page rank, at the same time our home page climbed in to the top 5 for many keywords.
    But really it is the product pages that sell the goods not the home page. The home page has just got some page rank back but the only good thing about that is it makes people feel safer linking to the site.

avatar aneesh says:

bolywood masala

avatar MGA says:

avatar Hemlata Sagar says:

Yeah, I have seen Changes in SERPs and PR of many websites.

Regards,
    Hemlata Sagar

avatar Robert says:

I’m so over the PageRank craze… While it’s cool to be rated highly it has no real impact on rankings.

Correction… it has NO impact on rankings.

Come to think of it, Robert. I’m starting to believe more and more each day that you might be right about that. BUT on the other side, I must stress out that Google’s real magic is drawing from references on the inbound links each site has and it reflects both on the PageRank and SERP ranking.

Bottomline?

PageRank has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with SERP ranking, that is true. But like two different recipes with the same ingredients but different garnishings — they taste just the same, they just look different.

avatar Robert says:

@ Jhourlad While I do like the your reference to tasty dishes, I would still have to disagree. I’ve seen pages with a PR0 rank higher than a PR4. I believe that the PageRank is less related to the quality but more on the perceived popularity of a page. This goes much further than simply counting Links.

Agreed, links influence rankings. But to judge a website on PageRank is like reading the blurb of a novel and think that you know the whole story.

avatar Nina Greaves says:

I love Google, always have, always will. It keeps me from the clutches of Mr ‘Monopoloy’ Gates

avatar Robert says:

@Nina, I hate to rain on your parade, but Google is far more of a monopoly than Microsoft. But for some crazy reason people don’t seem to mind.