January 19, 2009
If you have been in this business for any length of time, you have probably heard the saying, “The Money is in the List”. Well, in a big way that is true. Building a mailing list and sending out regular newsletters, updates, etc. is a very powerful way of increasing your customer base. There are numerous things you can do to build your mailing list and most of them are free!
1. Be sure to put a subscription form/box on every page of your website. If you want people to sign up for your ezine/ newsletter, you need to make it as easy as possible for them, even if it is as simple as a link saying Subscribe Here.
2. Subscribe Address in your Sigtag – Use your subscribe address in your sigtag when you post to message boards, send emails to email discussion lists and anytime you send out an email. This is a very simple, yet effective way to get people to subscribe to your mailing list. For example: Free ebook to help you build your business. subscribe @ subscribehere.com
3. Offer a Free – Give people some incentive to give their email address for your mailing list. Offer them a free ebook or free software. If possible, write the ebook yourself to get more exposure for yourself and your business. Let people know they are free to use your ebook as a sign-up bonus as well.
4. Hover Ads – Hover ads, float in ads, pop-up ads, exit ads, can all be very effective in capturing people’s email addresses. Use the ad to offer your freebie and add your subscription address so it is very easy for people to sign up. When I put one of these ads on my site, I added hundreds of subscribers in just a few weeks. You can get free code for this ad at: tamingthebeast.net/generators/popup-hover-ad.htm
5. Contests – Hold contests on your site to draw more people in to sign up for your mailing list. People don’t mind signing up when they have a chance to win something for free. Keep in mind that these will not all be solid subscribers. Some will be contest junkies and freebie seekers!
6. Ad Swaps – This an old but effective way to build your mailing list. Search for other quality ezines/newsletters that compliment yours and then contact the publisher. Ask them if they would like to get free exposure for their ezine. Offer to put their ad in your newsletter, if they do the same for you. This can get you lots of free traffic and sign-ups.
7. Ezine Directories – There are numerous ezine directories on the net and most of them are free. Add your ezine and let publishers know that you are willing to do ad swaps. You can also look for ezines to contact for ad swaps.
8. Group Subscription Ads – This is where you sign up for a free program and get your ezine posted numerous websites along with other ezines. What you have to do in return is add the code for the box to your site as well. You can see an example here: seymourproducts.com down at the bottom of the page.
9. Article Marketing – Article marketing for me has been the most powerful method of building my mailing list and my customer base. Take some time to write an informative, helpful article, submit it to directories and website/ezine owners and you are guaranteed to get more subscribers!
10. Exchange Recommendations with Other Publishers – This is similar to an ad swap but you would contact other publishers and discuss recommending each other’s ezine on your welcome/thank you page or email. This is the web page or email your subscribers see after signing up for your ezine. Doing this with several ezine publishers could greatly increase the rate in which you build your mailing list/subscriber base.
If you consistently use some or all of these ideas, you will definitely build a large mailing list. If you use this list to send a quality ezine they will definitely respond to you and your business!
Terri Seymour (also known as “The eBook Lady”) has over ten years online experience and has helped many people start their own business. Visit her site at http://www.seymourproducts.com for resources, $1 resell ebooks & software, free tutorials, affiliate programs, free ezine and free business ebook with Master Resell Rights. http://www.seymourproducts.com/free.shtml