February 11, 2009
It’s critical that you plan ahead… anticipate the future needs of your ecommerce business in terms of your marketing needs and related requirements of collecting, storing, and using information collected from site visitors. Failure to do so may jeopardize your most important assets — your opt-in and customer lists.
The Toysmart Case
The Gateway Learning Corporation Case
Here’s a list of a few examples:
- collection of passive information by cookies and Internet tags;
- collection of navigational data by log files, server logs, and clickstream data;
- sharing with service providers such as ISP’s website designers, etc.;
- sharing with your entity affiliates, (subsidiaries, related entities);
- sharing with purchasers of your business;
- sharing with third-party web analytics services such as Google Analytics; and
- as pointed out in the Toysmart case, sharing in the unlikely event of bankruptcy, or receivership.
The lesson to be learned… if you anticipate these issues now and provide for them, you won’t be jeopardizing your most important assets — your opt-in and customer lists.