April 15, 2009
Having a famous blog does not always mean that your name is equally famous too. Considering Google and Yahoo as the current leaders in search engine technology, if you search your blog‟s name and your own name in these search engines, your blog may not necessarily be displayed in the top 10 results in both the cases. Why Not? For you and for those who know, you are the author of your blog, your name may be seen as an important keyword for your blog. But for search engines and other millions of users, your name may or may not be considered as a keyword for your blog. What has to be done? So to tell everybody that you are the owner of your blog, make these changes/additions in your blog:
- Use your name as the “author name” in your blog in the correct format (e.g. John Smith instead of J.Smith), which will be displayed below all your posts, as “Posted by John Smith on 5th October”. By this method you will increase the density of your name in the blog, and visitors will start recognizing you as the author of the blog.
- While commenting too, make sure that your name is being shown as the commentator‟s name, which is linked to your blog. Again this will increase the density of your name, and visitors (especially those who are active and frequently comment on your blog) will recognize and even use your name in their comments while addressing/conversing with you.
- Link your name with your blog, from different web pages (do-follow blogs) and forums.
And more importantly tell the search engines that you are the author of your blog:
- The above methods are applicable in this section too.
- While adding the meta-tags to your blog, make sure your name is included in both meta-keywords and meta-description.
- Write an About US page, with a brief description about you, a picture of yourself and if possible a video too.
An important strategy you MUST NOT miss in the 3rd point is the title of your “About US” page. Although in most of the blogs, including some professional blogs, you will see the title as “About Us – Blog Title”, but this is a big mistake according to search engine optimization techniques (if you want to connect the author with the blog). So the best title for your blog‟s „about us‟ page must include your name in it, for e.g. “John Smith Author At – Blog Title” This technique ensures a better connection between you and your blog, as words in titles are given maximum attention by Search Engines. Depending on the popularity of your blog, your “About Us” page will reach the top 10 results within a week or two, with your name as the keyword.
So the best title for your blog‟s „about us‟ page must include your name in it, for e.g. “John Smith Author At – Blog Title” This technique ensures a better connection between you and your blog, as words in titles are given maximum attention by Search Engines. Depending on the popularity of your blog, your „About Us‟ page will reach the top 10 results within a week or two, with your name as the keyword.
Get in to the Image Results too: This is not a big deal once you have optimized the title. Simply in the same web page, put your own image. But make sure to include your name both in the „alt tag‟ and in the image file name. Example:
The blog administered by me – BloggerStop.Net is being displayed at the First position in both Google and Yahoo searches for the key words “V Divya Sai”, and that‟s my name.
About The Author:
V.Divya Sai is a Scientist and Biotechnologist with a keen interest in Blogging. He has founded the blogs Bikers Blog and Blogger Templates & Widgets with the main aim of helping other bloggers to uplift and optimize their blogs. BloggerStop.Net is mainly beneficial for people who blog on Google’s Blogger platform. A list of important tutorials can be seen here: Blogger Help .