July 23, 2009

Microsoft vs Google: game on or Bing results too “spammy”?

webmasters

It didn’t look too promising at the launch but Bing has been constantly in the news ever since. Some say the results are better than Google, even going as far as suggesting Google is all but finished. I don’t agree.

On one of the search engine forums I often comment on, one of the moderators had this to say on the subject: “But overall this confirms my sense that Google, having abandoned the business model that got it to the top, viz. fast no frills search, in favour of added features and buying up other companies, is becoming increasingly fat and complacent, and along the way their search results are becoming less relevant.”

Now, I have to say that I had a small run-in with this guy as he supports everything Microsoft does, from its browser to its operating system and now to its new “decision engine”. So when he writes, “I’ve been using Bing lately and I’m finding a lot of advantages over Google. These are early days yet but this is the first emerging search engine that may provide a real threat to Google’s dominance – something I for one welcome,” I’m a little suspicious.

There’s plenty of supporters out there giving online commentaries on its progress. TechCrunch.com, for example, analyses its early success by saying: “Microsoft sites’ average daily penetration among US searchers reached 16.7 percent during the work week of June 8-12, up 3 percentage points from the May 25-29 period (which was prior to Bing’s introduction) and up over 1 percentage point from its first week.”

However, on webpronews.com following its launch, Matt Cutts, Google’s spokesman and soothsayer, was reported, rather scathingly I thought, to have tweeted: “Matt Cutts: Congrats to @bing on the launch! Sad to see this not-so-relevant result at #4 for [matt cutts] though.” And then: “The #5 Bing result for [matt cutts] is spammy too.” Interesting that one should search one’s own name to find out if the results were “spammy”, but never mind.

So, I did a little research on the subject of my own and tested my web turf to find on “web design bangkok” Bing returned very poor results, spammy even, with “Luxor Bangkok the Egyptian Design Hotel” and “Bangkok Metropolitan Administration” being placed in the top ten.

However, there is a site that offers users the opportunity for us to choose for ourselves. Just go to http://bingdevelop.com/bingcompete compare-your-search-bing-vs-google-vs-yahoo and type in any search term you are unfamiliar with and see which search engine results you would choose. Select say ten of them. You are presented with randomised results from Bing, Google, and Yahoo placed in a three-column set. You don’t know which one is which at this stage until you make your choice. As a test, take a look and select the one you think delivers the best results.

I tried 10 searches for terms I’m not at all familiar with and Google came out on top in all but one. It did surprise me after my original test on my own search terms that Bing was very close on all of them.

For Matt Cutts to comment as he did in the wake of Bing’s launch, I don’t think Google are too comfortable with Microsoft’s re-emergence into the search engine marketplace. For me, though, I am much happier to accept Google’s results as the test bore out. Others may be switching to Bing already but I am not.

I then looked for commentary – they’re ubiquitous these days – and found money.cnn.com had run the headline: “Bing vs. Google: Consumers Can’t Tell a Difference”. Oh, but I think they can, I thought. While it’s true that on wider, more unfamiliar search terms the two are very close indeed (my own findings were “seo consultant” – Google, but Bing very close; “manchester city t-shirt” – Google because it returned MCFC official site; “polar ice caps melting” – Google again but Bing almost identical; “bank bonuses uk” – Google, as it had reports from BBC, Guardian, etc. but Bing again very close), Bing still has its teething problems.

So as I read the plethora of reports and opinions being spun as to whether Bing is better than Google, I wonder what drove them to that conclusion. Like that of the forum moderator, perhaps? But I’m sure he was being honest with himself about his choices. It’s just a matter of why he would choose a different set of listings to me. It can’t be just because he’s a closet fan of Microsoft; the three engines are hidden until one is selected and I can vouch for his integrity.

However, Bing’s campaign, or spin, however you look at it, seems to me to be communicating that in order to get “relevant” information, they should choose Bing over Google, with its grandiose promise of being a “decision engine”. Which is what, exactly? Another one of Microsoft’s tricks to decide matters for me? As if Word wasn’t frustrating enough at doing that already.

Maybe the differences are far too subtle for me to notice. Or just maybe the Luxor Bangkok the Egyptian Design Hotel is not the place I would go to find a web designer in Bangkok. But the moderator, of course, had the final say: “I was a big Google fan for a long time, but increasingly I find myself going to Bing first and only to Google if Bing doesn’t deliver the goods. There’s no question that Google still has more web pages indexed than anyone else. But if they can’t find better ways of sorting through them they are going to crash. They can’t count on brand loyalty forever. For those of you old enough to remember Alta Vista, I am reminded of their rapid and total fall from grace when Google launched. Nothing is forever on the net.”

My findings are that they are very similar and certainly not enough to make “Google crash” just yet. Personally, I don’t believe this is yet Bing’s time until they tighten up their results. I agree with Mr Cutts that just now Bing is just too, how do you say again, “spammy”.

V9 Design and Build (http://www.v9designbuild.com) produce tasteful web design in Bangkok, Thailand, including ecommerce shopping cart solutions, with functionality that allows owners to set up and maintain their online stores.

19 Responses to “Microsoft vs Google: game on or Bing results too “spammy”?

avatar Seo Experts says:

I am personally in favour and highly impressed with bing…. and the way they marketed them selves in just last 6-7 weeks to capture the market

avatar Simon Hensby says:

Google has become the Microsoft of the internet and needs some serious competition to bring it down to earth, even if only a little. It’s rather ironic that the only serious contender that has enough money behind it, is Microsoft itself but I for one welcome the crack at Google. I hope that it will make Google think more and connect again with the users, rather than becoming this overbearing dictator, pushing through new changes without any consultation or apparent concern.

I still feel Google is master in the field of SEO and It not gonna let bing take over it.

avatar Peter Zeller says:

I find Google results to be somewhat to outdated sometimes, and they seems to had become way too big, they really need some serious competition. Bing excited the masses at launch, but things seems to have calm down since.

But Google should care. They need to offer the best product, if they want their supremacy to last.

avatar Seo Experts says:

Google keeps their secret till end… that makes them king so they will really top the world in internet

avatar Digi says:

I welcome any competition, for the over bloated dictators that call themselves google, and many webmasters share my opinion and are just as fed up with kissing google arse as I am.

avatar Digi says:

OH! You’re my new favorite blogger fyi

avatar Kev says:

Good Ol’ Microsoft — always clinging onto the shirt tails of a success, never innovating, and never succeeding like the people they’re following. They just can’t seem to get anything right.

avatar KC says:

It is interesting you make the comparison to MS Word after a recent “Upgrade” to office 2007 from 2000 and hours of Googling to try to find a solution to the biggest piece of Garbage software in Outlook 2007 I uninstalled and went back to Outlook 2000.

I can’t help remembering this when it comes to “Bing” the faster we knock Bill Gates and Microsoft down the ladder and make him understand that his fortune is tied to making excellent products that are superior to anything else the better mankind will be.

I for one have no interest in pumping up Microsoft’s bottom-line in any way until this day occurs. From my perspective, it seems like he should concentrate on his core business first and get the bugs worked out of it first before wasting my time on the Internet with more of his ramrodded business tactics. Maybe Anti-trust should be relooked into. On the other hand, has the world started to wake up (with the gains of the far Superior Firefox to IE) and this has Microsoft running scared.

Maybe they would have been better off buying Yahoo.com after all although I doubt we the Internet community would have been.

So personally for me it’s no binging thank you, I will stick to Googling and Yahooing for my results.

avatar Amit Desai says:

I firmly believe that Bing has what it takes to be a game changer .. since its launch i have been testing bing doing same searches on google and bing. Though i love google but i am starting to like Bing as well and i like what it has to offer .. i have shared my experience on testing bing here http://www.gigathoughts.com/technology/microsoft-bing-%E2%80%93-search-and-decision-engine.html

avatar Natalie says:

Google is still king. Bing is a nightmare for re-searching the competition. I am also having problems getting it to list my site after submitting it twice. Google has never been this slow.

Fascinating! I went to the site with the blind test and Google was my choice every time.

avatar Microsoft vs Google: game on or Bing results too “spammy”? | Easy Street Interactive Blog says:

[…] Post from: SiteProNews: Webmaster News & Resources%%Microsoft vs Google: game on or Bing results too “spammy”?%% […]

avatar Bill Grote says:

When I check results from search engines I’ve noticed that while Bing produces lower results than Google, the “bounce” rate for Bing searches are lower than those for Google. THe low bounce rate seems to be indicative of people finding what they’ve searched for — or at least interested in what they’ve found.

avatar Perry says:

Good article. I did the blind test 3 times using actual topics I was interested in looking up. I made my choice looking at the results that I would be looking for and all 3 times chose the google results. Bing and yahoo looked similar in results and listed sites that were listing sites and not ones I would be interested in. Competition is good and I do welcome alternate search engines.

avatar Dot says:

Interesting test. I looked for 3 search terms, one of which was images, and I used terms I was very familiar with. I looked for accuracy and number of correct hits as well as current info. The result was –Bing: 1 Google:1 Yahoo:1 for images.

I doubt that Bing and yahoo collaboration would be enough for Google. Google had gone to far to fight even two major internet giants meet.

avatar Susan says:

Susan

avatar Rebecca says:

I shall do an experiment between Google and Bing. But yes, certainly Google has more web pages than anyone else. At the same time, Bing becomes more popular. It’s now the question of sorting out irrelevant indexes.