November 10, 2009
It’s common for new Twitter users to get overwhelmed after joining. This article presents 10 Twitter tips which will help you get started while ensuring that your time on Twitter is both productive and efficient.
Top 10 Twitter Tips for Beginners
- Choosing a Username: A lot of Twitter users choose nicknames that are unrelated to the information they are offering. If you are using Twitter for personal use this is okay, however, if you are going to use Twitter to offer high quality information related to your area of expertise, you should choose a username that reflects your area of specialization. When people see your username they will know exactly what you are about.
- Retweets: Retweet are also known as RTs and are used to resend a message sent by someone else. If you think the content of the message is relevant and useful, you always have the option of forwarding that person’s message. If you wish to send a retweet, all you have to do is type “RT @name” in front of their message and then proceed to post it. Whenever you post the tweet, always remember to acknowledge the person who originally created the message.
- Communicating with the @ Sign: In order to reply to people who have posted tweets, the @ sign is used. If you wish to post a reply, simply place an @ sign in front of their username and then type in your message.
- Locating Your Friends and Searching for Topics of Interest: You can use the Search function to find your friends and topics you may be interested in.twitter.com. It functions much like a search engine with the only difference being that you are using Twitter to find people and information that would interest you.
- Receiving Mobile Tweets: If you have a cell phone you can receive tweets from Twitter on your mobile device by simply entering your cell phone number under the Devices tab in your Twitter account settings online.
- Mobile Twitter Clients: Twitter provides mobile clients which enhance your experience with using Twitter. The clients include Twitterific and Twitterberry and work with a cell phone that contains Wi-Fi.
- Categories: On Twitter, you can easily categorize your tweets so that other users can easily find them. If you are posting a tweet about a topic that is currently popular, all you have to do is place # sign in front of the topic of your tweet.
- URL Addresses: URL addresses are website addresses that you can provide in your tweets if there is a page you want others to view. More often than not, website URLs are long and exceed the 140 character limit. Because of this, Twitter users prefer to shorten URLs with URL shortening services.
- Direct Messaging: Any tweet you post on Twitter, the message can be seen by everyone, however, you can use the direct messaging service to send private messages.
- TweetDeck: If you become a frequent Twitter user, it would be wise to install a desktop client like Tweetdeck on your PC or Mac. A desktop client application will help you to easily manage all of your communications on Twitter
There are a lot of other ways that Twitter can be used but these are the top 10 Twitter Tips that will help you understand the basics and get started using Twitter.
Martin Sejas is the author and main writer of Twitter Tips Central, a blog dedicated to providing the latest and best Twitter tips to improve user productivity and efficiency on Twitter.