September 27, 2010

Mythbusting: How Many Article Submission Sites Should I Submit To?

articlewriting

Here is an excellent question that I get sometimes: “Is it okay to submit the same article to multiple article submission sites?”

Sometimes people are afraid to do this, and that fear is completely unfounded. Let’s start by looking at the purpose of an article directory.

Article submission sites (aka article directories) are like libraries. They specialize in having content (free reprint articles) on all sorts of topics that can be “checked-out” for free, like in a library.

The difference is that with a library you need to bring the book back eventually, whereas the articles on directories do not need to be “returned”.

Publishers go to the article directories looking for content for their websites. They find an article that they like, and they may reprint that article for free, with the agreement that they will also republish the resource box with its link.

The purpose of an article submission site is to provide free reprint articles for publishers. Each article can be republished a limitless number of times–the more the better.

When you publish your article on a directory, you want it to be republished. That is how you build links, and building links impacts your search engine ranking, which in turn impacts the traffic you receive to your website.

So, article directories are never meant to be the end of the line–you do not publish there thinking that it will be the only place that your article will be published. That is not how article marketing works.

The power behind article marketing is in the republication of the articles.

You write one article, and it gets republished many times. You submit your article one time to a directory, and then let’s say 100 publishers find your article on that directory and put it on their site.

So, from one article submitted to one directory, you created 101 links–the first link came from the directory itself, when you submitted your article there. The other 100 links were the result of publishers finding your article on the directory and republishing it.

Let’s go back to the original question–is it alright to submit the same article to multiple article directories?

The answer is “yes”, and you will benefit greatly if you take the initiative to do that.

If you submit your article to one submission site, then you are totally dependent on the results that that one directory can bring. You do that one submission and you wait, and wait, and wait. Kind of passive, isn’t it?

But, if you submit your article to several directories, then you have helped your cause in two ways:

1 – You are automatically building more links by submitting to more sites. Submit your article to one directory, and you know for sure that you have build one backlink. Submit your article to ten directories, and you know for sure you have build ten new links.

2 – You multiply the opportunities for your article to be picked up for publication, which also multiplies your opportunities for building backlinks.

For example, submit your article to one directory, and then 100 publishers republish your article. That makes a total of 101 backlinks for you as a result of publishing that one article on that one directory.

Not bad, but what if you submitted your article to ten directories with the same result–101 backlinks build as a result of publishing on each site. That’s a big increase, isn’t it?

Would you rather have 101 new backlinks or 1,010?

When you submit your articles to more directories, you drastically increase the number of links that you can create.

Article directories are not expecting that they will be the only website that contains your article–the very purpose of an article submission site is to propagate the republication of articles.

Each article that you write should only be submitted one time to each directory, but you can submit that same article to as many directories as you like.

For more info on how you can use article marketing to reach thousands of potential prospects for your website, go now to www.submityourarticle.com. Steve Shaw is an article marketing expert and founder of the popular article distribution service www.submityourarticle.com used by thousands of business owners.

22 Responses to “Mythbusting: How Many Article Submission Sites Should I Submit To?

avatar Mathew says:

But the content of the article will remain same, what about Googles policy about Duplicate Content

This answers my question perfectly, and makes sense. Excellent. I will get to work with a clear conscience confident that I will be building something and not stepping on my own feet! Thanks very much.

Another related question I have is once I have distributed my article to multiple article directory sites, can I then upload the same article to my “articles” page on my own website? Maybe this question is the same as the original question. I would like to think that an author of a book can place their book in several different book stores across the country. Shouldn’t this be the same with any article I write? If not, then Google has way too much power!

avatar Sadna says:

This answers all my questions! Now I don’t have to go out looking for answers, I mean I don’t see anything wrong with submitting the same article to different sites. If I don’t do it then somebody else will. So I do it I won’t get back links and if somebody else re-post’s it then I will get a back link? That to me does not make any sense.

avatar Marc says:

Well I have come to notice that the first directory I submit my article to tends to be the one that shows up in googles search result better. Is this true for anyone else?

avatar Calendar says:

I would submit more unique articles to directories with PR 4-5 and up. Directories with PR0 may be new or go down at anytime so it is best to submit the same article to many of them so atleast if your articles does not get picked up you will keep several backlinks over time.

High ranking article sites are better than pr0 ranked ones. Your backlink will have more juice.

avatar Neil says:

Finaly a well written article that gives me the conformation ive been looking for. People online say so many different things but this clears it up. Many thanks

avatar Russ Hudson says:

Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about! Thank you for posting this – I get so tired of this “only post your article to one place” myth.

But for the posters above me talking about duplicate content, you have obviously been misinformed. Article syndication purposefully seeks to distribute one piece of content to as many places as possible. As long as you credit the original article source, it’s never considered duplicate content.

The number one rule to syndication? Index the article on your site first. Otherwise, whatever site gets your work indexed first is likely to be credited with it as the authority source by Google.

avatar rohit says:

Making a living online is a very steep learning curve for many and it can be difficult to learn everything required to run a successful business online or offline in a short space of time.

As an experienced programmer, I’m here to tell you that not everyone cuts it! Some people just plain give up before they’ve even made it off the ground… I know because I develop business software applications and custom programs for a living — and the reason I do that is to make business owner’s lives much, much easier

I was excited to find this website. I need to to thank you for ones time due to this fantastic read!! I definitely really liked every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to see new stuff on your web site.

avatar Rehan acnemanual.com says:

I had many misconceptions in my mind regarding posting a single article to many article directories. But now i am very much sure about posting an article on many directories. Thank you very much for posting a very informative article. It helped me a lot thank you once again.

Well i understand this was old way of doing it and with google panda and penguin this way must have been changed because i heard ezine articles were effected a lot.

Let me know if we can still submit same article to multiple sites?

avatar Jennifer says:

Thank you so much for this article. I have been wondering about this for some time now and all I had to do was ask the question.

avatar Ganesh says:

Really helpful article. cleared so many ideas. Hoping to see some latest changes inclusion in this article and upcoming.

So article marketing is a huge and powerful weapon in seo to get good rank with high traffic to the site. At the same time adding keywords to the article in apt places shows good results when it’s posted. I feel extremely overwhelmed to see your post.

avatar Ravinder says:

I already submitted a single article to 40-50 directories. After some days Google dropped my seo ranking.

avatar Nikil says:

Hi friends, Sorry to say you, this article is misleading SEO people. @Ravinder don’t post your article to 40 to 50 sites, google will penalise your website for sure. SO i would suggest everyone that, submit one article to one site and make that link viral that is what works for SEO.

Well, I don’t think getting the same article republished on new sites will be very helpful. It is the same as getting the same content republished again and again. It might bring you some DA/PA from different sites. Publishing new articles regularly will be much more helpful.

avatar Steve Shaw says:

Obviously this article goes back to 2010, and things have changed quite a bit since then in terms of SEO. You can still submit to multiple article directories, but either use a straight (non-keyword) link and/or link to a squeeze page on a different domain – it’s traffic you’re after now from these sites more than SEO, and as many of them are still popular sites it makes sense to do so.

Article marketing should now form just one part of a broader content marketing mix, including social media.

avatar lobotus says:

Good article.. Keep updating the advanced features tooo…. You can choose Live chat software