October 20, 2010
Google said that content is king, but in reality quality content alone cannot bring visitors. Competition for Google search engine users are high, and Google ranks those websites and blogs with high authority that have been live for more than 2 years.
The following are experiential advised to ensure quality content both from human reader and search engines. This is what we called the art of writing for human and for machine.
1. Choose a topic that has considerable search volume and create contents out of it. You can use Google external keyword tool to find the most popular keywords or topics. Here are the things you can do using the tool:
a. Type a general topic or certain areas related to your topic. Let’s say we are looking for the right term for telesales tips. Do not just search right away with this topic and use the general term telesales.
b. Select advance option to view the geographical location of searcher.
c. Select “ideas containing my search term” to discover semantically related keywords. You can arrange the result from highest to lowest by clicking global search volume.
d. Now if you find specific keyword like “telesales tips”, research this keyword again to get more specific semantically related keywords.
e. You should be able to see the related keywords or key phrase such as telesales training, telesales technique, telesales skills and calls.
Doing this will give you 3 advantages:
i. You have semantically related keyword for your blog post, as well as know how to avoid keyword stuffing and improve keyword density.
ii. Possible topic for a future post.
iii. Once the next article is done you can now create internal linking.
2. Add image or video to your post. Image complements your content. The image can also help encourage the reader to read the content.
You can get a video from YouTube. This video serves as bonus to your reader. Make sure the video as well as the image are related to your post. These two elements can help minimize bounce rate. Bounce rate is also used by Google to determine the quality of your site. You can find many resources to reduce bounce rate. Quality and unique content is the way to go.
3. Make sure that your content is crawled by Google, Yahoo and Bing. Now you have your post. It’s time for you to give incoming link to your post. Never leave your new blog post or new website without external of incoming link. Newly established website or blog took longer time to be crawled so you need help from high authority social bookmarking sites.
a. Sign up to top 10 social bookmarking sites and add or submit your blog post. Use only one username and password to remember them easily. Submit your blog post URL and use the title of your blog as the title in these top social bookmarking sites. Make sure the description is different from each other.
b. Suggested top friendly bookmarking sites are stumbleupon, yahoo buzz, digg.com, jamespot, mix, delicious, folkd, pimpthisblog, facebook and clipmark.
4. Get traffics after 1 week to 1 month.
a. Once the blog post is live and crawled, it will be included in Google search engine index. However, it will not stay on the top as new blog post related to your topic will remove you from the blog search engine results.
b. Now give your blog post a minimum of 5 to 10 do follow incoming links by submitting the post to these do follow social bookmarking sites. The site www.bmbuzz.com has a good collection of social bookmarking sites. It is recommended that you find an online article that discusses steps and tips in social bookmarking.
c. The blog post will not rank after 24 hours or the next day. It will not go on Google 1st or 2nd page within one week. However, as you have created external links and as the blog post get’s older, it will gain its own authority.
5. Get referral traffics. The top 10 social bookmarking sites could give you both an opportunity to be crawled faster and get traffic referrals. However, the best traffic referrals are those in your community or group. Here are some tips to do it:
a. Create your own followers. Visit top blogger with good twitter followers and try to invite them to follow your twitter. The quality of your message or tweet is one best way to get followers.
b. Design or create a Fan page for your blog and invite your online friends to LIKE your Fan page. You can also visit the Facebook of well-known bloggers, who are also talking about the same niche that you have. Befriend their followers, send them quality information that are useful to them and then invite them to your fan page.
6. Capture new visitors’ emails through freebies. In a research about best sources of traffic, the pay per clicks is the best, followed by email marketing, guest posting, and then search engine optimization.
In my own test, even if my keyword is number 1, I can get only 2% of the total search volume. Referral links from guest post can bring more traffic than your rank in Google search engine. However, search engine visitors are more profitable than guest post visitors. To make sure your new visitors will become regular visitors follow the following steps:
a. Research and write white paper in the form of downloadable eBook.
b. Create yet professional sign up form using wordpress plug in, free contact us from awebber form.
c. Once you’ve captured their emails you can send them interested information that they may want to know. This time you are just recommending good stuffs to your visitors.
7. Link wheel your post. Since the beginning of your first post, you’ve already included other possible topics that you can discuss in the future. If you decide to make new blog post about these topics, make sure that you create link from the old post. These processes have various benefits such as:
a. Purposely increasing number of links to your posts will improve its search engine keyword ranking. If you visit your webmaster tools, you will notice that Google regularly collects your internal links. You can control the quantity by creating links around your blog post as long as there are related topics.
b. Link wheeling your topics will improve your visitor page view, visitors reading time as well as reduce bounce rate.
c. Well link wheel posts will give your visitors complete or satisfactory information about your site. 2 thumbs up customer behavior will guarantee your site to be bookmarked by your visitors.
A regular blog update of about 3 topics a week would be enough. It will provide you with 12 page a month. These 12 pages will have 5 incoming links each post or a total 60 links a month. By the end of three months you will have 180 links. So when Google update the page rank you will have higher website authority as well as regular visitors from your followers and emails list. You will now enjoy both search engine and non-search engine traffic.
Jobette Escobanas is SEO Manager of a well-known Lead Generation and Virtual Assistant provider from the Philippines. He has been a SEO specialist for over 3 years, and a regular blogger.