October 29, 2010

Why Most Small Business Owners Fail To Attract Clients Using LinkedIn

linkedin

There are over 80 million influential professionals from over 200 countries on LinkedIn that can become your potentials customers. In fact, LinkedIn’s membership is what Neilson Online is calling “The world’s largest audience of affluent, influential professionals” as you will find executives from all Fortune 500 companies there. Plus, you will find experienced professionals from large and small companies and every type of business and industry imaginable.

So, why aren’t you able to attract more clients? Why is no one connecting with you?

Out of the 80 million professionals, there are only a few internet marketers and companies that are successfully getting more clients each and every single day from LinkedIn. Below, you will find out their secrets to attracting clients that are ready, willing and able to invest in their products or services.

3 Reasons Why You Are Not Attracting More Clients and Making More Money with LinkedIn

Reason #1 – You are waiting for prospects to come to you

Clients who are willing to pay for your products and services will not just fall into your lap. As an entrepreneur you have to make it part of your job to go out and find them.

Think of it this way, who is the interested party in this situation:

You or the person who doesn’t even know they know they need your services or products.

You have to be the one the take charge and find your prospects. Here are a few ways to easily engage with others on LinkedIn…

* Update your status message daily.

* Start a vigorous discussion in various groups that you belong to. This will enable you to prove your expertise in your given area.

* Answer questions on the Q & A Boards. This will show your experience and help you become a thought leader

Reason #2 -You fail to take advantage of LinkedIn groups

LinkedIn allows you to join up to 50 groups – where you can network, join conversations and show prospects that you have the answers to their problems. Yet, most small business owners and internet marketers do not actively seek groups that they should belong to.

If they do join groups they make these two mistakes:

1. They become a member of a group – but they sit there like a lump on the log. How can you expect prospects to come to you if you do not take the time to make yourself heard?

2. They join groups where there are like members. Let me put it to you this way, do you want to be a member of a group that is full of your competition or do you want to belong to a group that is full of people who could turn out to be your prospects. It sounds pretty obvious to me that you would want to be where your prospects are. But many entrepreneurs fail to think outside the box and strictly join groups based on their field of expertise.

Another way, to take advantage of LinkedIn groups is to create your own group. This is the absolute best way to create your own community of followers. You are the one who is in charge of the type of content that is posted. You can make sure what you have to say is heard and you have the power to control your own group. From my experience, many group members religiously check out what is being discussed in the groups they find the most useful. Why can’t your group be one of them?

Reason #3 – Failure to Create Content and Distribute it to the Different Groups

Eric Gruber (My Partner at GetLinkedInHelp.com and Founder of Article Marketing Experts) belongs to 50 different groups. Now, if each of the 50 groups has at least 1,000 members, then each time he submits content, he is getting his content in front of 50,000 potential clients – just with a couple clicks of the mouse.

So, you need to create content that…

* Proves your expertise
* Sparks controversy and debate
* Gets people talking
* Entices prospects to visit your blog and website
* Motivates prospects to take action (using your products or services of
course)

Just by avoiding these common LinkedIn mistakes, you will begin to build your list of connections and prospects. Continue the conversation – and you will turn these prospects into paying customers and clients.

Now the three mistakes I outlined in this article is part of a larger special report where I detail 14 LinkedIn mistakes and the opportunities you are missing. You can get it for free at: www.GetLinkedInHelp.com

LinkedIn Expert Kristina Jaramillo creates online marketplace opportunities for small business owners who want more website traffic, prospects and profits. Now, with her free special report, you can uncover how you can become “the trusted source for your industry on LinkedIn” and along with easy ways to gain more connections fast by avoiding the top 14 mistakes. Get this information for free at: www.GetLinkedInHelp.com

16 Responses to “Why Most Small Business Owners Fail To Attract Clients Using LinkedIn

avatar Mike Logan says:

Guilty on most of these counts. I have been getting ready to begin more networking on linkedin, and your expertise has given me some more efficient directions to go. Thanks. Mike

avatar Doug Walter says:

Good information, Kristina. My New Year’s Resolution is to do more on LinkedIn. I’ve recently upgraded to paying monthly and I recommend it. You get so much more information. When researching your market you can find good people to contact. Already phoned one prospect found on LinkedIn and they’re interested! Bodes well…

avatar Marisa says:

This is a great article. I just recently joined LinkedIn and I am rejoicing right now because this is the most traffic that I have seen on my blog. I started a discussion in ALL of the groups that I belong to and linked it back to one of my articles and the response was AWESOME!!! I am so excited about LinkedIn groups!!! Thanks for the GREAT article, I will definitely take you advice!!! I am planning an aggressive marketing stategy to grow my business in 2011 and interacting on LinkedIn is definitely in my plans. I have found much GREATER success on LinkedIn than on Twitter.

avatar Beryl Wing says:

Fabulous article. For me the key, however, would be in creating articles with content that can be useful in the target community’s business – like this article. Like Doug above I get really irritated when I see post after post on the groups I belong to that are marketing ploys. I want information first, then I might want to buy. In fact, the groups that have mostly marketing posts and/or discussion posts that are irrelevant to the business of the members prompt me to unsubscribe from the group. Maybe that’s shortsighted. But I don’t have TIME to keep clicking into a group only to find extraneous material. Kudos to you, Kristina, for keeping it both relevant and useful!

I thank you all for your honest responses as well as Kristina for this valuable information. I vowed in 2011 to give my all in tryng to make LinkedIn work for me. This information gets me off to a good start.

avatar CB Bowman says:

Kristina, this is great advice! I do have one question… when you mention that your partner belongs to belongs to 50 groups it sounds like you mean 50 in addition to the linkedin groups if that is true what types of additional groups does he belong to?
    Also why did linkedin set a 50 group max. Can we increase this limit, given the number of wonderful groups that there are. I would like to have 50 for “colleague” type groups, because I used the discussions like focus groups! And 50 I can join to use as you suggested! Please give this some thought.
    Thank you!
    BTW Beryl and Doug I agree with you both, I think there should be a linkedin rule that states that the owners of groups are accountable for abusive content. I have a group and in the guidelines I state that the group will not tolerate rudeness, negative support and information which is not for the greater benefit of the members.
    I joined an SEO group to learn about optimizing my web site and many of the member were so rude I left the group and I sent the owner an email regarding the situation and he never responded! Fortunally someone who had seen all of the negative comments contacted me with a professional approach and I just hired her today! But as a career coach i WOULD NEVER SUGGEST THAT ONE ON MY TECH CLIENTS JOIN THIS GROUP! I do think that this is an issue with the groups, however the benefits outweigh the deficits. it’s just that the taste of the bitter souls stay with you longer.
    It is sad given that linkedin has so much to offer those whose behavior represents true professionalism!
    CB

avatar Donna Lynn says:

Doug Walter says,

“You make some very good points, but, I get pretty upset when I see someone join a group where the have no expertise simply to promote their product or service. In fact when I see a post that I judge to be simply a marketing ploy I am pretty likely to make a negative comment and most likely would actively search out a competitor if I found a need for the product or service.”

This is my first post Doug, i joined linkedin to read business posts for useful information or any help to promote my business,so are you actually saying NOT to mention what i do for a living? how would that help my business,my expertise is in 20years of hairdressing business and through ill health i had to give my business up, and started making handcrafted jewellery, which i love doing, so any help on how to start or join in a discussion would be gratefully received as i do not wish to offend any one,

Beryl Wing says,”Like Doug above I get really irritated when I see post after post on the groups I belong to that are marketing ploys. I want information first, then I might want to buy”

Hi Beryl, so your saying to talk about my jewellery and give loads of information? I’m so sorry I’m really confused,is this not marketing? any information how to get my business across without marketing or annoying people would be a great help, this could be my first and last post haha, please be gentle with your replies, as i need help of understanding what i can say and what not to say.

avatar Oma Edoja says:

To answer the question about self-promotion, this should not be blatant! If you share an article that answers a “hot question” you are subtlely promoting your expertise and what you do! If your article contains great value people will look you up of their own free will, rather than because you “scammed” them into going to your site! No need to blow your trumpet, just make good music and a crowd will gather!

avatar Kearn Cherry says:

I think this is a great article. I would like to know if the 50 groups can be expanded. I love joining the healthcare groups since that is my field and I learn what going on in different areas, but I am also a business owner. I want to stay up to date there. With marketing and sales being the more important parts of business, I think it is important to join those group and then there leisure – Tennis for me. So, 50 not enough. Most groups are sharing great information. So, please let me know if we can add more.

I do all the things you suggest. However, I don’t know what to do after I connect with a new person to start a connection that might lead to business. What ideas do you have? Thanks.

avatar Oma Edoja says:

Hi Judy,

Here are some suggestions that could lead to business:

1. Whenever you ask for or accept a connection, first visit the person’s profile and websites(s) to see what they are all about. Look around for anything you,or someone else you know might need.

2. Then get back to or connect with this person with any questions or comments you may have regarding what you find out. This starts a purposeful discussion because you genuinely want to understand what they do.

3. Now you know what they do you can send them referrals or ask for their help. And you can ask them to look you up as well, with a view to cross-promoting.

4. Now that you “know” each other, occassionally respond to their updates, send seasonal greetings and any helpful information you find, that they might need e.g. a group, event or article they might find helpful.

5. Ask them what their ideal client looks like. If I’m not too busy, I ask this as soon as I connect. Do your best to send them referrals based on their response. Let them know what your ideal client looks like and ask them to refer anyone who might need your services too. To get business we must give business, remember!

6. Periodically go through your contacts list and see who you could joint-venture with. This way, I have found a speaker for one of my teleclasses and suppliers for my business needs. I have also sent out questions and requests for help to my list, with good response, and received business enquiries, some of which led to business and referrals.

I hope this helps with your question about starting discussions that could lead to business. Remember not to dive straight into asking for a sale, as this puts people off.

Stephen Covey, in his 7 Habits of Highly Effective People said, “Seek first to understand and then to be understood.” Do this with your contacts and pave the way to profitable discussions.

Anyone reading this is welcome to start such a conversation with me. If you have a complete profile and a picture of yourself there, I will definitely respond! Just tell me where you “found” me!

avatar KF says:

Excellent suggestions.

avatar Luke Arthur says:

Definitely a solid article. I tried using LinkedIn a while back and then pretty much forgot about it. This will help me remember to focus on it as a viable traffic building strategy. Thanks!

avatar Lauren Neal says:

Wonderful article, Kristina.I’d like to direct this question to anyone who has expertise to respond. It indirectly hits on advertising oneself. I have started a LinkedIn group where I contribute regularly (not everyday), but of 13 people who have joined only 1 other than me is active. I am not sure how to engage them. They won’t network. Today, I’ve changed the rules of the group so that only people willing and prepared to interact can join. Am I expecting too much? I am afraid to ask anyone else to join because it may only increase the amount of non-interactors :).

avatar Rita Berry says:

Great article! I’m on LinkedIn but not very active. I plan to join some of the groups to increase my networking experiences.