November 1, 2010

What Is The Ideal Keyword Density For SEO Purposes?

SEO2

Anyone with an Internet presence really wants to achieve maximum visibility within the search engine result pages, or SERPS. As the Internet has rapidly expanded over the past few years, so the major search engines have attracted the brightest brainpower to their labs, in order to come up with algorithms that work. Today, these complex pieces of computer code are indeed sophisticated. Anyone who searches for the most obscure phrase can see a mountain of results appear before them in the blink of an eye. We would all like to know exactly what goes into the programming of those algorithms and indeed, much of it is a closely guarded secret.

An industry has grown up to support the concept of search engine optimization. We have a pretty shrewd idea now what we need to do to elevate our pages within those SERPS.

Optimization falls into two separate categories: online and off-line. It appears that the off-line element is of more importance, specifically the building of appropriate backlinks, votes of confidence if you will, from other sites to yours. However, you must pay attention to on-site optimization as well.

Years ago, on page optimization for SEO purposes meant “stuffing” your appropriate keywords into the body of the content on your webpage but with little regard to rich content. In those early days, it may have been possible to influence your position within search results by overwhelming use of your chosen keyword. At that time, quantity may have been better than quality, but not anymore.

Today, as the search engine robots are so sophisticated, we need to compose our webpages thoughtfully and carefully. Above all else, we must do keyword research to ensure that we are targeting the right words for our chosen niche. It’s important to come up with supporting keywords, sometimes known as secondary keywords, to back up our credibility. The engines look for the presence of these other keywords, as a means of validating your principal contents.

There is a wide body of opinion, much of which is very conflicting, about the ideal keyword density for SEO purposes. Some experts reckon that you can get away with a density of as much as 8%, meaning that your keyword or keyword phrase appears eight times out of every hundred words on your page. You have to remember that your content needs to be readable and if it is obvious to you, when reading it, that the keyword is overused, then you’re likely to have scoring points deducted. 1 to 2% seems a far more reasonable and likely goal.

There are many different tools that you can use to come up with search engine keywords to help find the best keywords to help your purpose. Perhaps the most well known is Google’s own, free tool. When you are starting a process of discovery and optimization, one of the main keyword research tips to bear in mind is that you should almost always aim for a “long tail” word, or a more descriptive version, specifically highlighting your niche. You might find it very difficult to rank for the word “dog,” for example and might be much better off optimizing for something like “golden retriever training,” instead!

Diana Samalot is a successful internet marketer who knows how to leverage the Internet with a proven system, world class support and the best Internet marketing training. Discover how you too can utilize the Internet to reach your goals by becoming a member of our community. Act now and go to >>> http://thebestmillionarecreator.com

20 Responses to “What Is The Ideal Keyword Density For SEO Purposes?

avatar Keyword|Keyword Density|SEO says:

[…] What Is The Ideal Keyword Density For SEO Purposes? Cancel reply […]

avatar Laura Arango says:

Interesting, this is nice stuff.

avatar SEO Guru says:

Hi Diana,

I was researching SEO density for some articles that I’m writing at the moment, and the information that I found here was very helpful – thanks for taking the time to post it !

avatar Diana Samalot says:

I’m happy you found it useful :-)

avatar Al Lennon says:

hi Diana- was just googling “ideal keyword density” and you came up #1.(nice job)
    Trying to decide if I have overdone it or not- my results are really good but…
    if you have any feedback it’d be welcome

avatar Diana says:

Hello Al!
    Thank you for your comment. I’m not sure what you mean about overdoing it but if you mean in terms of keyword density, I’d focus more on providing content that is useful to your readers.
    You are getting good results already so it seems like you’re on the right track.
    If there’s anything else I can do to help, let me know :-)

avatar Todd Gilden says:

This is the first time I have read any article 2 times in a row. Actually I am researching on SEO and I found this Article is very good. And I appreciate for spending your valuable time in such a wonderful article.

avatar Diana Samalot says:

Thank you Todd! I’m glad that you found this article helpful :-)

avatar Priya says:

yes keyword density should not be higher than 2% otherwise it could be considered as keyword stuffing.

avatar Laura Arango says:

This is exactly what I applied the past 2 months and I got big results. Thanks to Diana’s advice my blog has improved.

avatar Diana says:

Indeed. That’s what I shoot for also, but most importantly, I shoot for quality content.
    Thanks for your comment Priya.

avatar Rich White says:

I believe the ideal keyword density is within a range of 2 to 7 percent for any phrase that you are trying to optimize a particular landing page for. If you are less than 2%, you may not be high enough for the search engines, and any percentages higher than 7% will get you within spammy range.

avatar Diana says:

Hi Rich,
    I stick to around 2% keyword density. That’s just my preference. It all depends on “how it sounds” when I read it aloud I may go higher or lower.
    More than keyword density, I prefer to emphasize content. The keywords are more like the icing on the cake.
    I appreciate your comment :)

avatar Pradeep tyagi says:

Thank u very much for your valuable information,, I am really glad after reading your article over keyword density.

avatar Diana says:

I’m happy you found it helpful :)

Thanks for the info! I currently optimize for several clients in the North Dakota area and up here keyword density is important, but not as important in more populated areas simply because of less competition and not as many businesses optimizing their sites to be found. Needless to say, if I splash around a primary keyword 3-5 times in a 400-500 word article, it tends to do the trick!

avatar Dustin says:

I also found simular article at http://www.geoseo.net/matt-cutts-what-is-the-ideal-keyword-density-of-a-page/ Where Matt Cutts describes about keyword density:
    The question is “What is the ideal keyword destiny: 0.7%, 7%, or 77%? Or is it some other number? Ok…keyword density. Let’s talk about it a little bit. A lot of people think that there is just one recipe and you can just follow that, like baking cookies and if you follow it to the letter, you will rank number one. And that’s just not the way it works. Um…so, if you think that you can just say “Ok, I’m gonna have 14.5% keyword density or 7%, or 77% and now it mean that our rank is number one. That’s really not the case. That’s not the way that Search Engine Rankingswork.

avatar Laura Arango says:

Heyy Diana- was just googling “ideal keyword density” and you came up #1.(nice job)Trying to decide if I have overdone it or not- my results are really good but… if you have any feedback it’d be welcome

avatar Laura Arango says:

Hey Diana, I wanted to keep you updated but so far my results have improved after implementing this advice.

Works like a charm.

Selection of the right keywords is to be done, because it will greatly affect the search engines. The information you explain very useful.