March 8, 2012

The 10 Best Social Sites and How to Use Them

socialmedia

There is no doubt that social media marketing has taken the lead in online marketing strategies. Social media sites have exploded and continue to grow in number and popularity. If you own an online business, it can be very difficult to know where to begin in this extensive marketing arena.

There are dozens and dozens of social sites and more popping up all the time. I have compiled a list of the ten best social sites with which to get you started. I have chosen these sites by my own professional opinion and by actual popularity.

1. Facebook – Facebook has an estimated 850 million users! This is the most popular social site and my favorite as well. Facebook is very versatile in what you can do with your page. Be sure to open a business account and also read the rules for businesses. Fill out your profile completely. Add images and videos to your page to make it more interesting and interactive. Visit your page every day and post helpful information, links and resources. Answer all comments promptly.

2. Twitter – Twitter has 200 million estimated active users. I like Twitter because it is quick, easy and effective for marketing your business. You simply add tidbits of information, new product info, sales and/or specials, links, motivational quotes, etc. and tweet! Keep your tweets professional and beneficial to your followers. Don’t tweet things like what you’re having for dinner or what movie you just watched. Get involved with other tweeters and participate!

3. LinkedIn – LinkedIn now has over 150 million estimated users. The thing I like about LinkedIn is how you can participate in groups that interest you or will benefit your business. Join groups and be sure to participate in the discussions by offering real and helpful information and advice. Follow their guidelines on how to completely and effectively fill out your profile.

4. Google+ – Google+ is one of the newer social sites, but it already has an estimated 65 million users! I must admit, I have not done much with Google+ as of yet, but I do like the format and versatility of the site. Be sure to add the +1 Google feature to your website so people can click it to show they like your site. This will help you in the ratings. Again, be sure to complete your profile and spend time daily or at least weekly on your Google+ page.

5. Pinterest – With over 10 million active users, Pinterest is growing in popularity very quickly. Pinterest has come up with something a little different. You are given a pinboard to add visual items such as photos, graphs, videos, etc. Pinning helpful visual information is a great way to attract people to your pinboard. You can add comments as well. People respond more to visual items than just words so get over to Pinterest and start pinning!

6. Ecademy – Ecademy has over 17 million users. Ecademy is a membership site for business owners to connect, help and grow with one another. There are paid and free memberships. Take the time to build relationships with other business owners. You can start your own clubs, write blog posts, and participate in discussions. This site is more involved than some social sites and will take more time to learn to use effectively.

7. YouTube – YouTube has an estimated 300 million users. YouTube is a video sharing site. Making an effective marketing video to share on YouTube can have a dramatic effect on your site traffic. Show your expertise with instructional and informational videos. You can also present slide shows to market your products and/or services. Set up an account and start uploading those business growing videos.

8. StumbleUpon – Despite a “stumble” in growth, StumbleUpon is now growing in popularity and has an estimated 20 million users. StumbleUpon is a social site that allows the users to share interesting and helpful websites. You will need to be an active user to reap the benefits from this site.

9. Ryze – With less than a million members, Ryze is not the most popular of the social networking sites but it can be effective. Ryze is similar to LinkedIn in that it is a place for professionals to grow, connect and help one another succeed. Join networks that target your business and network with other business owners.

10. Blogs – Blogs are very popular social sites and there are lots of them. Search for blogs that target your niche and become active with guest posts, comments, etc. Participating on blogs can help you make connections and get traffic you might not have gotten. Also, if you do not have your own blog yet, be sure to get started. I would recommend WordPress, but there are other blog services available.

If you are a business owner, you really cannot avoid social media in this marketing age. So rather than ignore it, you need to study it, learn it and participate in it. Once you do, you will find it to be a very enjoyable and beneficial experience!

Don’t be one of the 95% of people who fail at their online business. Terri Seymour can help you make money online. Find out how to increase your traffic and sales with her popular “How to Build Your Online Business” ebook for FREE at:
==> http://www.SeymourProducts.com

18 Responses to “The 10 Best Social Sites and How to Use Them

Great social sites with their using makes the users more convenient…

avatar dawn oconnor says:

Pinterest, ok if you want to give them full rights to all your images, I think not!

avatar Aaron says:

Some very good sites which I have already signed up to mainly through other articles you have published.

The one site I hadn’t got an account with is RYZE, I tried to sign up today and got the following message

“We’re sorry, Ryze is not presently accepting new members.”

Guess they must be full up!?

avatar Aaron says:

Some very good sites which I have already signed up to mainly through other articles you have published in the past.

“We’re sorry, Ryze is not presently accepting new members.”

Guess they must be full up!?

avatar Shone says:

The website Meet Up is also a useful social networking site.

Every serious minded businessman knows the importance of social media to his business. It is the cheapest way to create awareness about your business and get a lot of people to patronize you.
    Apart from being a platform for advertisement, it is a very nice instrument for building friendship.
    Social Media has come to stay and we have no choice but to take advantage of it to move our business forward.

You have provided a great Top 10 List, Thanks! Here’s one more that is specifically for entrepreneurs….
    http://www.EFactor.com You’ll find Groups, Connections, Tools and Resources for dramatically improving your business. Like all social networking, you get out of it what you are willing to put in. :-)

avatar Olaf Pijl says:

Don’t forget about Xing! That’s also gret for businesses (and backlinks for SEO).

avatar Donny Gamble says:

I am not familiar with Ryze either but I definitely will check it out now and see how many people from my niche are using it.

avatar Tom Mulhall says:

http://tumblr.com is also a good social media site. My wife uses it to promote our business.

I would say blogs and facebook are th ebest for small businesses.

avatar Philippe Moisan says:

Hello Terri,

Very well presented, concise, simple to apply. It’s thanks to my friend Roosevelt Evans that I saw your article.

Tom Mulhall, I keep hearing good things about tumblr. I will check it out.

Philippe

avatar seopositive says:

not sure pinterest is one for me, been looking at it a while, and like someone on here already said, you have to give them rights to all your images.

Thank you the detailed list, I didn’t know 3 to 4 sites, you have mentioned here. But other 6 social media websites have very good opportunity in microjob market.

avatar Geoff says:

I am at a point where I know I need to get ‘sociable’ but personally hate the thought of using Facebook and Twitter.

I know Google looks at a website’s social signals, so it is not something I can avoid any longer.

Therefore thanks for giving a list of other top sites to look into!

avatar Alan L. says:

Why in the world is Yelp ignored?

avatar internet marketing newbie says:

Well, recognize social media as marketing weapon is great when you know how to used it properly, but whne you know all in the list but not expert in one, it is look like you waste your time.
    It is more wise and effective if you understand one and give your best on that. I think it more make a sense.

This list isn’t new to everyone. I’ll bet that most people have accounts in these sites. But I think that YouTube is a classic and that aside from Facebook will grow more and will last longer than others.

Supplements can help your dreams of having your own product come alive. Intermountain Supplements offers a wide variety of custom formulation services including liquids, capsules, sprays, powders, and more.