April 1, 2012
I know not everyone is a fan of infographics, but I love them. Sure, they’ve been done to death at conferences and meetings, but nothing beats an eye-catching graphic to quickly highlight important data within complex statistics.
Today I was searching online for the latest social media usage statistics to incorporate into a presentation I am giving and I stumbled upon this brilliant infographic put together by OnlineMBA.com. Click on image for a larger view:
Here are the highlights:
Social Media Usage:
- More than 66%of adults online in America are connected to one or more social media platforms.
- 67% of Americans use social media to stay in touch with their friends.
- 64% of Americans use social media to stay in touch with family.
- 50% of Americans use social media to reconnect with old friends.
- Facebook has 845 million active users.
- The average Facebook user has 130 friends.
- The average Facebook visit lasts 23 minutes.
- 46% of Facebook users are over the age of 45.
- 57% of Facebook users are female (43% male).
- 57% of Facebook users report having been to “some college” (24% bachelors or graduate degree).
- 47% of Facebook users report making between $50,000 – $99,000 annually (33% between $25,000 – $49,999).
- Twitter has 127 million active users.
- 13% of Internet users also use Twitter.
- 33% of Twitter users are over the age of 45.
- 54% of Twitter users use Twitter on their mobile devices.
- 36% of Twitter users tweet at least once a day.
- The average visit on Twitter lasts for 14 minutes.
- 59% of Twitter users are female (41% male).
- Google+ has had 90 million unique visitors.
- Google+ users are 71% male.
- The most common occupation of a Google+ user is an engineer.
- 44% of Google+ users are “single”.
- Pinterest has had 21 million unique visits.
- The top two locations for Pinterest users are Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee.
- The top interests of Pinterest users are crafts, hobbies, interior design and fashion.
- 82% of Pinterest users are female (18% male).
- The average Pinterest visit lasts 17 minutes.
- LinkedIn has 150 million registered users.
- 75% of LinkedIn users use it for business purposes.
- There are 2 million companies on LinkedIn.
- 50% of LinkedIn users have a bachelors or graduate degree.
So as suspected, Facebook users are the biggest time wasters. Puts a new perspective on the value of Facebook advertising though, doesn’t it?
Kalena Jordan is a search engine agony aunt, SEO blogger & co-founder of SearchEngineCollege.com. Check out her Google+ Profile