February 5, 2014

The Latest Google+ Stats Prove It’s a Powerhouse Site

Google Logo
Photo Credit: meneame comunicacions, sl via flickr

There is a misconception running rampant in mass consciousness that Google+ is a waste of effort, or worse yet, a failed social experiment. Nothing could be further from the truth. Google+ is now the second most popular social network on the planet, and by the looks of these current stats, it’s entirely possible the site will overtake Facebook in the not so distant future.

The trick in succeeding on Google+ is a commitment to engagement. Activity is necessary in order to build an audience that is truly interested and beneficial to your bottom line.

Don’t believe that Google+ is here to stay, and worth your time and effort? Check out these impressive statistics.

Google+ now has over one billion registered users. Facebook leads this charge, but not by much more; they have 1.19 billion. It’s true that Google+ users are not as active as Facebook yet, but that’s changing, and there’s no slowing in sight.

Almost 800,000 new users sign-up for Google+ each month. Think of the fresh eyeballs you could have access to if you were active on the network!

So how active are these Google+ registrants? More than 540 million users access their profiles every month. And they’re doing many of the same things on Google+ that they are on Facebook; photo shares, status updates, comments, links to content, photos, and the whole shebang.

There’s a lot of pages consumed each month too; to the tune of 1.2 million page views.

Think only Facebook appeals to millennials (15-34 year olds)? Not so. More than 28 percent of young people have active profiles on Google+. This stat, too, is growing. If you’re looking to reach the younger generation, Google+ can help.

Businesses are getting the message in a big way; more than 70 percent of business brands use Google+. In actuality, this should be every online business, because a presence on Google+ at the very least will assist in SEO and search rankings. There’s no doubt about how crucial it is for businesses to have a complete Google+ profile.

Google+ is relevant to B2B and B2C marketers. Forty-one percent of business-to-consumer marketers use it to reach their audience, compared to 39 percent of business-to-business marketers. That’s a pretty even balance, proving that the network is equally valuable to both focuses.

The most popular brand on Google+ is Android – with more than 5.5 million followers. This proves two important points. The first is that people are clearly willing to connect with brands on Google+, to the tune of impressively high numbers. The second is that Google itself has found a way to correctly utilize their social platform, and if they can use it to increase success, so can you.

Which celebrity is the king or queen of Google+? Britney Spears reigns supreme, with more than 8 million followers. Her profile is popular in part because it has freshness and personality, giving fans a reason to connect and tune-in.

Speaking of SEO, besides page authority, Google+ +1s are more pertinent to search rankings than any other factor. That means an active Google+ audience can send your SERPs through the roof. That’s a very, very good thing.

Want to know how popular that +1 button is becoming? +1 is clicked more than five billion times a day. If that isn’t proof that this audience is indeed active, attentive, and willing to engage with your content, then nothing will convince you.

Images are all the rage on Google+. Photo sharing is actually the No. 1 activity¸ with more than 1.5 billion photos uploaded each week. Keep this in mind as you plan marketing strategies on Google+ — images are golden to this demographic. Use them wisely.

Mobile usage is growing on the network too. Twenty-six percent of mobile users that access the web for social reasons use Google+. And this is one number that is seeing insane growth year over year, with no end in sight.

In fact, more than 20 million unique mobile users access the social giant every month. Yes, it’s challenging to expand your marketing channels. But with the potential to reach such a mammoth audience, it is clearly well worth the effort.

If you’re still not convinced, chew on this statistic: Google+ is the fastest growing website in the history of the Internet. No kidding. They acquired 25 million users in month one. No one else has ever acquired more.

Can you still be successful online without Google+? Of course you can. But use the stats above to dispel any myths that the social network is struggling, or fading away. If you’re looking to have a comprehensive social marketing strategy, and any semblance of a strong SEO campaign, Google+ simply can’t be ignored.

What’s your overall impression of Google+? Do you see it as a valuable social network platform, or just a bunch of hype?

Digital producer, online marketer, community manager, and multi-faceted writer Tina Courtney-Brown has been managing cross-functional teams for online businesses since 1996. Tina has assisted many clients in maximizing online production and marketing efforts, and is a staff writer for SiteProNews, one of the Web’s foremost webmaster and tech news blogs. She’s produced and marketed innovative content for major players like Disney and JDate, as well as boutique startups galore, with fortes including social media, SEO, massively multiplayer games, community management, social networks, and project management. Tina is also a certified Reiki practitioner, herbalist, nonprofit director and spiritual counselor.  Learn more at her personal website, or find her on Facebook and Google+.

25 Responses to “The Latest Google+ Stats Prove It’s a Powerhouse Site

Correct that article I love it… Google Plus has a spirit.. a different experience… I am very satisfied with my page… For me G+ is like a new town you enter to discover it.. meet chat and grow.

Hi Tina, once again some interesting stats from you. Thanks. The idea that G+ was gaining an important place in our marketing strategy was never in doubt for me, however others in the company don’t carry the same impression of it. I’d love to see what responses you get here with feedback from others. Will watch with interest!
    Cheers
    Perry

A very interesting write up. I have not been giving it much time; but I will have to see it differently from now. Thanks a whole lot.

avatar Paul Sarwana says:

I just thought Google found what works in social networks (business networks). In 2012 many reviewers were in doubt whether Google+ could have a chance in the social media landscape. But the above stats shows that it can potentially perform better than Facebook in the near future.

avatar Ferry says:

Google+ presence can not be underestimated. With Google+ user growth rate is going to increasingly compete with facebook later

avatar Matthew says:

Why are there no reference links? I can come on here and say “45% of all Google+ users are actually cloned accounts made by Google employees,” but I should have some sort of evidence to back up that claim. Did this come from an independent study? A Google press release?

Google should focus on their search results. For the past 2 years with their algo updates they are in deep trouble. Nothing beats facebook. Its time for facebook to expand to search engines. With all the data they have (user metrics etc) and money. They can put down google!

avatar Niki says:

This article is misleading. Google+ stats looks good only because Google is forcing everyone to synch all their Google activities with Google+. So, millions of people are signed up, but far less people actually use Google+.

avatar Lokesh Sinfh says:

Yes this is the fact g+ going green

I’m not sure these are actually the pearls of wisdom of the accredited author…

The author of the above article doesn’t follow up on her own advice. If you click on her Google Plus page at the end of the article, you will see her last post is dated June 22nd last year!!!!

Practice what you preach or don’t preach?

Let’s be fair, Jason. Many of us work so hard to keep our clients focused on what to do that we do indeed neglect our own. Personally, I don’t care if Tina isn’t the author, or whether she is the perfect example of a avid G+ user, it’s the info that interests me, and it’s the advice we should give our clients about social media trends that are important here.

Lol – oh, my dear friend, if only I actually put all of my pearls of wisdom into practice! I myself am not a brand, YET – and therefore am way, way behind on my social media presence for my personal endeavors. I do all of the above for clients, not for myself – therefore I spend all my time helping clients get great traction on sites like Google+. You are SO correct, however, I need to get myself up to speed! Thanks for the motivation :)

avatar Marketingweb says:

Not only that, her ONLY posts on Google+ are about…you guessed it… Google+!

avatar Ron says:

The #1 problem with g+ is that it’s not nearly as straightforward as other social platforms. It’s much broader in terms of how connections work and it doesn’t do a great job at simplifying the overall format for the lay person. Clearly it has seo and local search benefit, no question, but my question is this…”how much time does each user spend on their g+ profile each day/week/month as compared to on their fb or twitter profiles?”

avatar Rita Perdue says:

I have a Google+ button on all products, but when someone clicks on the G+ the only image offered to ‘share’ is the site’s banner, not the product – personally I think it’s going to be a long time before Google can get it right for businesses – customers are free to share all they want…

avatar Rich Amor says:

I suspect this occur because your website/theme isn’t coded correctly.

avatar Justis says:

Google+ is a welcome alternative to FB & has a much better designed user interface. Want to talk about control? Open your eyes & take a fresh look @ facebook – their day in the sun is almost over.

avatar Mollie says:

Thank you very much for the article. I will agree with you that google+ is the future and the way to go. Now that facebook is going too commercial, i believe google will take this advantage and expand more. I personally get a lot of response from google plus than from facebook. I totally agree that google+ is the future

avatar Ritesh Reet says:

Hello Tina, once again wonderful article from you. All the stats which you have provided here are just great.

Seems that google+ is getting popular now a days, hope one day it will beat facebook.

Google+ as took us by surprise, at first I was not too keen on it but now I use almost everyday and I can see why it will be a big hit with everyone.

avatar Robert says:

“Facts are meaningless they can be used to prove anything that is remotely true.” ~ H.Simpson

I’ll not argue Google+ numbers but I will argue how active those numbers are. In all honesty it’s really horses for corses and while some industries (very few) may be relatively active on Google+, it certainly fails the Britney test. You need only compare any post that shared on both Google+ and Facebook to see just how very far behind Google+ still is as a social network.

I’ll not claim that Google+ is a failed network, but I will still stand by my analysis that it’s yet to really take off. But, time will tell.

avatar Ty Whalin says:

I use Google+ on a regular basis. Pretty much everyday. It is now a valuable platform and continues to gain ground on a daily basis. After some research on Google+, writing several articles and watching the SERP’s I have found it to be a very good resources to connect and generate traffic to sites.

avatar AK says:

Thanks for the article update on Google+. Going by your statistics, one may need to give more consideration for increased activities on Google+ as a social engagement to drive traffic.