May 26, 2014
Do you still think that learning the spoken and unspoken rules of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is an unreachable goal? In that case, now would be a good time to change your opinion. SEO skills are not in your DNA; they are developed and perfected over time. A good optimization plan requires lots of time, energy, extensive research and exhausting brainstorming sessions. But most of all, good SEO tactics require role models. In a universe governed by Google’s ever-changing set of rules and guidelines, it is imperative to follow in the footsteps of people who are experts in this area.
SEO leaders are founders of powerful SEO/e- consultancy firms, passionate online marketers and trendsetters. Their mad marketing skills, curiosity, tremendous passion for what they do and a powerful desire to stay in the loop and provide accurate SEO advice to the public at large is a winning formula that has basically written their success stories.
How & Why You May Need an SEO Guide
If you don’t really understand SEO, you seldom know if you’re walking on solid ground when you’re testing or implementing new optimization tactics . Since search engine optimization plans can make or break your online business, it is always advisable to replace your doubts with certainties. And to do that, you need to count on someone with an in-depth knowledge and expertise in this industry.
Great SEO experts are like your first grade teacher: they provide a good starting point. We learn by following the examples set by successful people. Obviously, we have access to a generous selection of resources available online, but somehow it is always more tempting to follow powerful leaders who keep an entire SEO community updated. These leaders predict new trends, discuss ideas, share a virtually endless list of orthodox optimization tips and tricks, post updates on different hot topics and provide timely answers to questions that are currently bothering marketers and webmasters.
Most importantly, they offer free advice which is trustworthy. When your goal is to perfect your optimization tactics, it is extremely important to listen to what reputable SEO specialists have to say. Sometimes, SEO novices just have to be the sheep and let the experts be the shepherd.
The Ultimate List of SEO Experts to Follow
1) Matt Cutts: Matt is head of the web-spam team at Google. He writes about the latest Google updates and he’s usually the first to know. He is one of the few people who can provide insights about the Google changes that usually take everybody by surprise.
Matt is very good at explaining even the most complex and abstract SEO notions using everyday language. If you are looking for a “dummies” edition of a SEO guide, just take a peek at his blog, where you’ll find lots of interesting information about SEO, gadgets and Google.
Don’t know how Google’s most radical changes could impact your rankings? Don’t know how to adapt to new challenges brought by search engines? Just ask Cutts. If you’re in luck and your question is really interesting, he will offer you an answer in a video posted on YouTube.
2) Rand Fishkin: He is the CEO of Moz and a widely respected SEO expert. The Moz blog is one of the most popular SEO blogs on the Web and is followed by thousands of people. It’s run by Rand + reputable guest bloggers. Moz offers the Moz Bar, a free browser downloadable add-on toolbar, which is the best way to find out the Domain Authority of a site. For good information about ‘Page Rank’ visit: http://moz.com/learn/seo/page-authority.
Rand, the “Wizard of Moz at Moz”, is definitely a great teacher for anyone who wants to improve their SEO skills. He is also the co-founder of Inbound.org and the Art of SEO. If SEO is really an art, then Fishkin is a genuine contemporary artist. He runs multiple blogs and is obsessed with anything associated with search, social signals and content.
3) Danny Sullivan: SearchEngineLand is one of the best, unbiased, factual sources for SEO information, news, and help. Danny Sullivan is the big name on this site. Whenever users need to confirm a rumor that has created a stir in the SEO community, get an opinion on a new SEO prediction, or obtain an accurate explanation for search engine updates that impact their optimization efforts, they turn to SearchEngineLand.
4) Loren Baker: The founder of SearchEngineJournal, a high ranking, popular resource for finding quality SEO news and research, is a well known and trusted SEO guru. Since research is the solid foundation for any project involving SEO or content creation, it’s definitely advisable to check out the latest posts published on this site. Baker likes to keep himself very busy. Apart from being the founder of Search Engine Journal, he also runs Foundation Digital, a company specializing in digital marketing strategies, and is the advisor for Alpha Brand Media.
5) Neil Patel: Born in 1985 in London, Patel is the founder of CrazyEgg, Hello Bar and KISSMetrics. He thinks that he was born with a priceless gift: the ability to help webmasters get “a ton of eyeballs” on their webpages. He guarantees significant website traffic increases in only 3 months. One of his sites, KISSMetrics is a real boon for content creators, marketers and webmasters who are looking for the simplest, fastest method to stay relevant in the SEO community and improve their profits.
6) Joe Hall: Hall knows more than a thing or two about SEO, internet marketing and web development. In 2009, Hall introduced a social media search tool entitled WhosTalkin.com. This accomplishment brought him to the attention of major players and prestigious institutions, including MIT and the Department of Homeland Security. So, if you are looking for a specialist who can handle any type of Internet marketing challenge, Hall is definitely your guy. He founded 22 Media LLC, a company that he closed in December 2012 when he decided to work for Internet Marketing Ninjas. As a Senior Marketing Analyst, he provides accurate answers to questions related to social media, online marketing and web development.
7) Geoff Kenyon: If your one and only purpose in life is to build or consolidate a perfectly healthy online business and keep Google on your side for the longest period of time, Geoff Kenyon is your man. The online marketing and SEO expert from Distilled’ specializes in link building, ecommerce and technical SEO, which are the basic components for conquering online markets.
Whether you want to create focused web content without wasting any words, wish to discover the hidden secrets of online marketing or plan to find out what factors actually helped big brands succeed where others have failed, you’ll find some very interesting points of view by checking out the most recent posts published by Distilled.
8) Mike Ramsey: Ramsey is the owner of Nifty Marketing, a company that has a very seductive promise: “We make local SEXY”. So, if you’re looking for killer local search marketing tactics that actually work, look to Nifty Marketing to get inspired.
9) Jon Cooper: Cooper owns Point Blank SEO. It’s no secret that links are the core of Google’s algorithms. Backlinks are extremely important and are the central piece of any off-page optimization plan. If you know very little or nothing at all about backlinks, turn to John Cooper for advice and useful info on this subject. Point Blank SEO provides novices with a free link building guide which can be obtained via email. Cooper also offers free link building courses for both beginners and pros.
10) Express Writers Content Creators: Last, but not least, the Express Writers Blog is another exceptional SEO guide that you can check out. The copywriting team writes & posts original, up-to-date resource articles about press releases, blogs, new Google updates, etc.
Julia McCoy is a top 30 content marketer and has been named an industry thought leader by several publications. She enjoys making the gray areas of content marketing clear with practical training, teaching, and systems. Her career in content marketing was completely self-taught. In 2011, she dropped out of college to follow her passion in writing, and since then grew her content agency, Express Writers, to thousands of worldwide clients from scratch. Julia is the author of two bestselling books on content marketing and copywriting, and is the host of The Write Podcast. Julia writes as a columnist on leading publications and certifies content strategists in her training course, The Content Strategy & Marketing Course. Julia lives in Austin, Texas with her daughter, husband, and one fur baby.