April 1, 2016
Survival of any online business mainly depends upon two things –conversion of website visitors into e-mail newsletter subscribers and then converting them into prospective customers. However, less than 30 percent of your website visitors will revisit your site unless a chance to sign-up is given to them. This is where the importance of WordPress popup plugins comes in. Popup messages are one of the most useful ways to convert your visitors into e-mail subscribers. Thanks to some great WordPress popup plugins, you can use pop-ups in almost every possible way such as immediate display, display after a certain amount of time, or after a specific number of page visits.
Today, there are hundreds of popup plugins available on the market – both free and paid. Following are some major cons of most of these popup plugins:
• Most end up annoying the visitors, thus driving them away and leaving them with a negative experience.
• Some popup plugins simply take too much time to load, while others slow down the loading of pages due to high resource intensity. The former leaves a negative impact on the visitor experience while the latter affects the SEO.
• Many popup plugins don’t have the proper balance of functionality and features. As a result, they fail to perform their main purpose – increase the e-mail list subscribers and generate leads.
• Complex setup is a major issue for some popup plugins. A general WordPress user faces difficulties while setting them up.
In this post, we’ll be comparing various features of four great WordPress popup plugins: ConvertPlug, OptinMonster, SumoMe and Bloom.
Most popular WordPress popup plugins
When it comes to an online marketing website, there are a number of significant decisions that you’ll have to make. But probably the biggest of all is how to build your e-mail list. Though there are lots of ways to perform this task, using opt-in e-mail subscription forms is considered to be the best way. This added feature can boost your e-mail list, if used strategically.
If you’re using a WordPress site, a WordPress plugin is the most useful way to add opt-in forms. Though there are hundreds of plugins available that can perform this task, very few of them can do it in the most effective way.
As we’ve discussed earlier, we’ll be comparing four major WordPress popup plugins. So, before digging deeper into their features, let’s take a look at their prices:
ConvertPlug is the most economical popup plugin amongst the four contenders. Now, let’s take a look at their respective details.
ConvertPlug offers different kinds of opt-in forms with different positions they can be displayed in, triggers that control its behavior, customizable templates and a lot more. It also comes with some additional features that might not be found in other plugins.
• Quick and user friendly setup of pop-ups.
• All designs created using ConvertPlug are all mobile responsive.
• It has 100 percent customizable designs and templates.
• Can be integrated with all major e-mail marketing providers with a simple click.
• Real-time, inbuilt analytics allow you to understand your conversion rate status.
• Has 56-plus animations and effects settings that can be used for all the elements created in this plugin.
• It comes along with an Addon Installer that offers all necessary add-ons for FREE.
The best part of ConvertPlug is that it is extremely easy to use. One can install it like any other plugin and create attractive popups or opt-in forms within minutes. The 100 percent customization options with inbuilt analytics and the possibility to A/B test them ensures you are working with the design and behavior settings that work best with your audience.
• Inbuilt Mail Collector with the ability to be integrated with almost all e-mail marketing softwares such as MailChimp, HubSpot, Aweber, iContact, Mad Mimi, and more.
• ConvertPlug has inbuilt analytics that helps track and compare the performance of different popups, opt-in forms and campaigns one creates using the plugin.
• It offers a large number of triggers that can be used to display a popup or opt-in form to the right users, at the right time, with the right offers.
• The A/B Test and the multi-variant test features of ConvertPlug let you create similar looking popups and check what works best.
• Advanced design options of ConvertPlug allow you to select the best display position for your message.
• ConvertPlug can only be used for WordPress based websites. Webmasters using a different platform may not be able to take complete advantage of its features.
• As a recently launched plugin, there might be some minor bugs, but it has a responsive and knowledgeable support team that solves issues and the developers launch frequent updates with a lot of new features, improvements and fixes.
OptinMonster is one of most powerful lead generation softwares that helps marketers to increase lead generation efforts, build e-mail subscribers and lower cart abandonment. Let’s have a look at the pros, cons, features and functions of OptinMonster.
To increase conversion rates, you can give the visitors multiple choices to sign up. OptinMonster offers multiple opt-in types to be placed on various locations on the landing pages and throughout the website. It offers the following opt-in types:
• Mobile responsive suit of OptinMonster allows you to easily customize opt-in form designs to suit your campaign and brand for smooth visibility on mobile apps.
• OptinMonster offers integration with major e-mail marketing service providers.
• Simple A/B tests help you to get a data-driven idea about conversions.
Easily understandable stats help you to take actions to modify your lead-generation strategy.
• MonsterEffects allows you to grab visitors’ attention by animated effects.
You can quickly get started with OptinMonster. You just have to opt for a plan, install the plugin and you’re good to go. The user interface of OptinMonster is pretty simple, inspired by WordPress user interface.
• You can select your best suitable templates for popovers from a vast collection of beautiful templates.
• As it can be used with any site that supports HTML, you can monitor all your opt-in forms from a centralized location, irrespective of the number of sites you have.
• With the help of a few clicks, you can easily conduct A/B tests that help to take data-driven decisions on the best converting position.
• OptinMonster uses the strong Amazon cloud infrastructure to lower your server load, thus making its page loading time come down to an impressive 2.18s.
• Though most of the elements within templates are customizable, there are some parts that can’t be edited.
• Number of templates is limited for some specific opt-in forms, except the popovers.
• You have to pay a continuous monthly fee ($9-$29) to use OptinMonster.
SumoMe offers a set of website traffic tools to give your online business a big boost. It helps your readers to subscribe to your e-mail list and share your articles, while letting you optimize your marketing efforts with analytics. The free tools are:
• List Builder
• Welcome Mat
• Heat Map
• Scroll Box
• Google Analytics
• Smart Bar
• Image Sharer
• It can be easily integrated with AWeber, MailChimp, Campaign Monitor and Constant Contact.
• You can customize templates to create great looking e-mail pop-ups.
• Popover that helps to increase e-mail subscribes significantly.
• You can customize the timing of e-mail subscription popover.
• You can customize the e-mail subscription box colors and wordings.
• You can easily add social media sharing buttons to your images.
• Share count helps you to monitor the frequency of sharing your images.
SumoMe has something for you if you want to improve any feature of your e-business. It helps you to increase your presence across various social media platforms, build your e-mail list, get hot leads and tweak your site to increase conversions and sales.
• The free version is sufficient for a beginner.
• Flexible Pro updates and packages are made available for those looking for something more and extensive.
• You’ll have strong controls over opt-in forms.
• Mobile-specific configuration.
• It becomes expensive when someone wants to have all the Pro tools; (about $100).
• It doesn’t allow full control over templates.
• Visitors might not be able use some apps.
Though Bloom has many features close to those of the above ones, it has many unique and different features too that make it a one of the most sought after e-mail opt-in plugins for WordPress. Let’s have a look at the features and functions of Bloom.
• Bloom offers the following opt-in form locations like Fly-in, Popup, Inline (place an opt-in form in the content via short code), Below post, Widget, Locked content.
• It also allows you to control the display of opt-in forms for any particular location.
• Unlimited A/B tests of the sign ups to find out the one giving you the most conversions.
• Bloom offers compatibility with major email marketing software, like AWeber, MailChimp, GetResponse, Mad Mimi, Constant Contact.
Overall, Bloom is an awesome product from Elegant Themes. You can purchase this plugin at a one-time payment of $249, or opt for an annual subscription.
• Bloom lets you create some outstanding opt-in forms.
• Bloom allows you to display certain forms on certain blog categories. That way, you can promote specific freebies for readers with specific interests.
• Availability of various trigger options allows you to decide the location of your opt-in form.
• You can disable the opt-in forms on specific pages and posts.
• Bloom lets you set the display interval of opt-in forms. For example, you can decide the visibility of a popup to a visitor after he/she has visited your site.
• Simple A/B tests on the opt-in forms help you to decide on the forms or the positions for better conversion.
• You can monitor all the statistics like tracking of opt-ins, email lists, conversions from the WordPress dashboard etc.
• Absence of drop-down header bar.
• One will have to shed $249 for a one-time payment for this plugin or opt for annual subscriptions that are higher than the rest.
Now, here comes the big question – which one is the best plugin? To answer, it mainly depends on your preference. Each plugin has the basic capability to capture leads. Some of their common features are:
• Easy to customize pop-ups.
• Various types of lead capturing forms.
• Facility of A/B testing of the forms to pick the best.
• Work with most major email marketing software.
However, the four contenders have some differences amongst them too.
ConvertPlug, OptinMonster and SumoMe come equipped with an exit intent trigger but Bloom doesn’t have that feature.
All of the four plugins have trigger options, but they are different in their functional nature and with respect to user control over them.
ConvertPlug and Bloom offer a “locked content” feature which is something not present in SumoMe and OptinMonster.
The biggest thing, while choosing a plugin amongst these four, is the price factor. Here, I am giving you three scenarios – take your pick that suits you the best.
• “I require my plugin to be Free – nothing else matters.”
In that case, go for SumoMe.
• “I need something that comes with almost every required feature.”
Here, I suggest OptinMonster.
• “I want to use a full featured version of a plugin irrespective of the cost I need to pay for it.”
• “I require the best solution available in the market, yet affordable.”
Simply go for ConvertPlug.
Gaurav Kumar is a blogger, digital marketer and a SEO expert at Designhill.com, one of the fastest growing custom design crowdsourcing platforms. Over the years, he has been helping small businesses and startups improve website design and SEO strategy, content marketing and user experience. You can engage with him on Twitter here @digitalmid