July 2, 2010
For any online business to succeed you need to gain an online presence and the only way you are going to do this is by getting your site seen by potential customers who are interested in the products or services you have to offer.
There are a lot of big advertising networks who sell website space all over the web to place your banners on, however this can be very expensive for many small business owners but today I would like to introduce you to an alternative method of getting your banners seen by using other peoples traffic at a price within your budget.
Instead of using the bigger networks you need to place your banner on sites related to your own niche who are already showing on the first page of Googles search results. As long as you do your research this method is very effective so give it a try and see what happens.
- Go to Google,search for a keyword related to your chosen niche and find a site who’s service or products compliment your own.
- Once you have found a site or blog that you are happy with scroll down and see if they display banners advertising other websites. If not check to see if they have an advertise link at the bottom of the homepage.
- If you can see other banners then they probably offer banner advertising so you now need to contact the owner.
- Tell them you would like to place a banner on their site for a small fee, maybe £50 for the month or whatever you feel is a reasonable price.
- If they accept your offer send them your banner and come to some agreement for payment.
- Wait a month and check your site stats, hopefully there will be an obvious change in your sites visitors or sales. If this is the case then stick to it. You never know you may be able to get a discount if it’s worth you using their site for the long term.
Before You Go Ahead Consider The Following Before You Choose A Site! This technique will only work if the site you place your banner on is popular and receives a steady flow of traffic. Don’t just take the owners word for it take a look at the following factors:
- What is the sites page rank – the higher the better.
- How relevant is the site to your own. It only goes to say that you wouldn’t want to advertise babies toys on a site in the gaming niche.
- Take a look at the Alexa Rank of the site, you can do this by downloading the Alexa toolbar. The lower the number the more visitors it receives.
- It’s position in the search engines. If it isn’t on the first page it’s no good to you.
Before I Go if you do your research well and your banner is eye catching there is no reason why you won’t see an increase in site visitors. If you
see a large increase in visitors but no increase in sales I would recommend taking another look at your service, prices, site design and any other factors that play a part in the visitors decision to buy.
Kerry Russell provides free Internet Marketing advice to others helping them build the foundations of a successful online business. You can find tips, articles, tutorials and much more at her businesses blog New To Internet Marketing.