October 25, 2010
A cheap, bargain website – or should I say an affordable website, doesn’t have to to mean a poorly built, featureless website, without the inclusion of some vital and important features. There are web design companies in the market who will offer extremely good features for a very reasonable price, including some of the important features and nice touches that you would expect to find only in a high end package.
What Features Should I Expect In My Budget Website?
Here are 10 features that in my opinion even a budget price website package should contain:
1. A CSS driven design with external CSS files. In simple terms, this is a far more convenient way of managing the design and layout on a site-wide basis.
2. Website code that passes from the W3C validation process. This is an important feature as websites with code that passes the validation process will be much easier for search engine robots to crawl and therefore make indexing of your website a speedier process.
3. All meta tags should be completed and the extremely important description tag on every page should contain a page specific description, not a site wide generic description that is repeated time and time again on every page.
4. The other very important tag is the title tag and these tags should be completed on every page incorporating some of the important keywords for that particular page. Once again, the title tag, like the description tag should be page specific and not a generic tag that is repeated throughout the site.
5. It goes without saying that you will want your website to have a nice, modern, fresh looking layout that is uncluttered and easy to navigate. Web 2.0 sites are particularly good at creating a minimalistic appearance that is easily navigated.
6. Do you have a robots.text file? Is there going to be one included in your website build or will this be left out? This is an extremely important file to have on your server as it tells search engine robots which files they are permitted to index, and which ones they are not.
7. Do you have a site map? The sitemap.xml file is easily submitted to Google in the Google Webmasters panel by your site builders and is very important as it helps your site to be quickly indexed by Google, informing Google of a very page that exists on your site.
8. What about an interactive contact form? Will your website company be incorporating a contact form into your site as part of the affordable package price or will it be an additional cost?
9. How will your images be displayed on your new budget website? Will you have an impressive light-box style gallery or will you just be permitted to have a few images throughout the whole site.
10. And while we are on the subject of images, will you have to provide the designers with all your own images or will they be able to provide you with some relevance stock images in the event that you do not have any available?
So there you have it. 10 features that in my opinion every website, even affordable budget websites should have included in them. If your web design company is not prepared to include these features, maybe you should consider looking for an alternative company to build your website for you.
The author runs a design company and lives in Surrey in the UK. He recommends visiting www.websitelauncher.co.uk for great, cheap websites offering all of the 10 features discussed and more.