July 17, 2012
If you have a knack for making great video content for your products and services than you’ve already won half
the battle. The other half is optimizing your videos so they have a better chance of being found in YouTube’s search engine, otherwise your customers will never find it! What’s the point in producing quality content for your video marketing strategy if nobody is going to see it.
These 8 tips will help you optimize your YouTube videos so you can get as many views as possible:
1. Aim to make a viewer watch the video for at least the first 8 seconds. This is a crucial time to engage a viewer because, if they wander off before those 8 seconds, that view doesn’t count towards your total view count on YouTube. Get their attention first and save your biography for later.
2. Post your YouTube videos on your Facebook page. Sharing them on other networks like Twitter and Tumblr are great, but Facebook has a great “viral quality” for videos compared to other networks, in my experience. Posting your videos everywhere possible multiplies your opportunities for exposure and provides cross-channel traffic between the different social sites.
3. Embed your YouTube videos within your blog posts. I would suggest writing a short blog post to accompany your new videos so you can gain some more traffic to your website as well as giving more exposure to your YouTube channel.
4. If you want people to share it, then ask! People will often do what you request, but you have to come out and ask for it first! Try telling people in the video to share it if they enjoyed it and remind them with non-intrusive text on-screen and in the video’s description.
5. Pay attention to the directions of each website that you submit your video to. There are small differences that you need to be aware of between sites that allow you to upload video content so ensure that you are following them accordingly or your video marketing strategy performance might suffer.
6. Tags are your friends. Get creative and imagine what words your target market is going to type into the search engine that is relevant to your content. Obviously your brand name is a given but add any and all relevant terms and keywords that you could picture someone searching for.
7. Allow people to embed your video. If you don’t, you are limiting people’s ability to share your content.
8. Make your titles and descriptions catchy and keyword optimized. You need to strike the optimal balance between catchy and keyword optimized since you want to attract viewers and higher ranking in the YouTube and Google search results. Make sure your title is clear and accurate. If it’s misleading, you might get the notorious “thumbs down” rating!
Which tip do you see most beneficial to your video marketing strategy?
Melonie Dodaro, of Top Dog Social Media, helps business owners and professionals to use social media marketing to attract more customers and increase their sales. Dubbed by the media as Canada’s #1 LinkedIn expert and social media strategist, Melonie is a highly sought after social media speaker and trainer. Download her free LinkedIn checklist to ensure a professional presence at http://LinkedInChecklist.com.