October 13, 2012
Just two months after becoming CEO of the company, the former Google product executive is updating Yahoo.com.
The changes include:
• A centered search bar, which is part of a darker toolbar at the top of the page as the user scrolls down.
• The Yahoo! logo is smaller and the lettering is white instead of purple.
• A magnifying glass icon has been substituted for the word “search.”
• There are fewer links to Yahoo sites on the left side. Removed from the queque are Dating, Flickr, Games, Jobs, Messenger, Music, My Yahoo!, and TV.
• Local weather and Astrology both have their own sections.
• Trending items have been moved to the left column.
• There is a now second large story below the top stories.
• Rather than just headlines, the news river has story summaries.
The new design can be seen here.
Yahoo.com is Yahoo’s most valuable product. According to ComScore, 170 million people visit Yahoo sites each day and the majority of them are directed to Yahoo.com.