YouTube, the world’s most popular online zone for video entertainment —watching TV shows, movies and other entertainment and educational videos — has now become an indispensable feature for mobile phones too.
Many of us watch, upload and share videos on YouTube, but, most of us do not realize that it can work as a money-spinner for us. The website you used just for entertainment can now be turned into a serious business if you know how to make that work.
Here is a simple guide to get your YouTube account or channel working for you.
1. Set up a channel: When you watch videos on YouTube, it does not ask for a sign in and lets you watch the videos. But to create a channel with a revenue-making motto, you must have a YouTube account of your own. You can sign in with your Google account if you already have one or you can create one by filling up a simple form.
2. Upload videos and have a high number of subscribers: Make sure you upload high-quality videos with good content, which attracts the audience. It will help you get a substantial number of viewers and subscribers. You may choose your social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc., to encourage people to watch your videos.
3. Develop a pattern for uploading videos: If you are looking forward to making money then it’s of no use if you upload videos just once in a month. You have to develop a pattern for uploading videos regularly and also to follow up on the videos you’ve already uploaded. You can follow up by replying to comments, likes, dislikes, and so on. Retain your subscribers by being creative and adding more connections. You can also comment on others’ videos to get them to visit your channel. This way, you will not only increase the number of viewers and subscribers, you will be able to build a relationship with your subscribers, which is essential to increase your income from YouTube.
4. Make no mistake about copyright: Do not play with copyrighted content unless you have permission to upload or use it. Violation of such serious laws not only put you out of the game, but you could also be sued.
5. Google AdSense: Creating an account with Google AdSense means you will be paid a certain amount of money based on pay-per-click for the advertisement you host on your video and, in some cases, for the views, too. Since it will require a link either to your PayPal or bank account, your genuine mailing address and other information are necessary so your income can be credited to you without any difficulty.
6. YouTube partnership: If you already have a Google AdSense account, 24 hours is the normal amount of time required to set up your partnership. Below are the main criteria for partnership:
- You must have a good track record on your account and no (previous) account disabled by YouTube for any reason.
- Your videos should be genuine and advertiser-friendly.
- Your videos should comply with YouTube’s terms of service and community guidelines.
- You shouldn’t violate copyright.
- The program must have been launched in your country, if it hasn’t then you may have to apply with a separate application form.
To find the right type of advertisement for your video, look for something that complements the clip’s theme. For instance, if you have made a DIY video on how to make apple fritters, you can consider hosting ads that feature food or something else related to your video. You can also host ads that sell complementary products to encourage people to click for more information. Running complementary ads can also help you earn a solid reputation and garner more subscribers.
Statistics indicate YouTube has millions of partners across 30 countries making money through their channels. It all has to do with making up your mind to use the unrealized opportunities around us. Employ the right strategies and you are good to go.
Good luck with your new channel!!
Kathryn Smith is a tech and entertainment blogger who works for a reputed online publication. She also identifies various websites that report calls and helps common people improve their safety standards.