November 21, 2013
Virtual pin-up board Pinterest has added a new mapping feature to enable Web and mobile users to plan trips or make wishlists of future destinations.
‘Place Pins’ is a tool that enables users to find new places on-the-go, see the address and phone number of a particular destination and even offers directions on how to get there.
The new tool — described as a way to combine beautiful imagery with utility — is a response to a growing trend on the social network.
“About a year ago, we noticed Pinners creating more and more boards around the vacations they’re planning, special places near where they live and sites they want to see someday,” writes Pinterest product designer Justin Edmund in a blog post.
“In fact, every day people Pin about 1.5 million places, and now there are more than 750 million Pins of these destinations on Pinterest. We asked ourselves, how can we help people turn their travel inspiration into reality? Today, we’re taking a first step toward that goal with Place Pins.”
How to make a place board
To craft a place board, simply select ‘add a map’ when designing a new board or ‘edit’ to change an existing board’s map settings. Once that is done, the user can begin adding new place pins or adjusting current pins to plan a trip.
Users can now design a board with friends to plan a vacation or other outing with all users collaborating on the same board. Users can also send boards to friends with suggestions of favorite sites, restaurants or other popular destinations.
Pinterest has asked some of “the best names in travel” to create boards to serve as inspiration for its users. Pinterest suggests users check out the following boards on this special feed for ideas for their own boards:
• East Coast Beach Crawl from the Travel Channel
• Gastronomic Travel from the Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts
• Top 100 Hotels in the World from Conde Nast Traveler
• The World’s Best Festivals from Fest300
• Tour #UMich from the University of Michigan
• UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the UK from VisitBritain
• Vibrant Street Markets from AFAR
• A Chicago Pork & Whiskey Tour from Thrillist
• America’s Best Hot Chocolate from Fodor’s
• Loved by Parisians and Loved by Tokyoites from Airbnb
• Great American BBQ from Andrew Zimmern
• An Adventurous Romp Around South Africa from Dave & Deb of The Planet D
• Devouring the Globe from Sherry of Ottsworld Travel
• Angie Eats New York City! from Jeremy & Angie of Living the Dream
• Best Places to Visit Europe from Karen of Europe a la Carte
• Our Beautiful World from JD Andrews of EarthXplorer
• Australia from Gary Arndt of Everything-Everywhere
• The Quirky Traveller from Zoe Dawes of The Quirky Traveller
• Bucket List Happy Hour Spots Around the World from Matt of Land Lopers
Jennifer Cowan is the Managing Editor for SiteProNews.