May 9, 2014
Target Advertising Tool to Roll Out Globally in Coming Months
Facebook has launched a new tool for marketers to better targets its members based on demographics, geography or purchasing history.
Using the new tool, dubbed Facebook Audience Insights, advertisers can look at trends about their current or potential customers across the social network.
“Say you want to raise awareness for your women’s luxury fashion brand, and you sell your products in-store,” reads a Facebook blog post. “You’d want to know how many people on Facebook live near your stores, as well as their interests, their past purchase behavior and how they tend to shop (online vs. in-store). Using Audience Insights, you can get aggregate and anonymous information.”
- Demographics — Age and gender, lifestyle, education, relationship status, job role and household size;
- Page likes — The top Pages people like in different categories, like women’s apparel or sports;
- Location and language — Where do people live, and what languages do they speak;
- Facebook usage — How frequently are people in your target audience logging onto Facebook and what device(s) they are using when they log on;
- Purchases activity — Past purchase behavior (i.e. heavy buyers of women’s apparel) and purchase methods (i.e., in-store, online).
Advertisers can view the information for the general Facebook audience, people connected to their Facebook page or event or people in custom audiences they have already created.
Audience Insights gathers aggregated information people have already expressed on the social network as well as information from trusted third-party partners — like Acxiom — via Facebook’s partner categories targeting.
To protect users’ privacy, Audience Insights shows information about groups of people, not the individual people in those groups.
Audience Insights is now available within Ads Manager for all U.S. marketers via this link. It will be available globally in the coming months.
Jennifer Cowan is the Managing Editor for SiteProNews.