April 27, 2015
It seems that a lot of content focuses on writing blogs, creating great calls to action, and writing excellent social media posts. However, you might not be able to find just how you should handle your home page content. It seems like the place to introduce yourself, your business, and services, but is that really what you should do? I am going to look at whether you need a ton of home page written content or if you should focus that attention elsewhere, helping you create excellent content for your clients and readers.
Do You Need to Have a Ton of Home Page Content: The Short Answer
I hear this question frequently because many people think that they need a lot of home page content to convert a visitor into a lead. However, when someone asks me if they need to have a ton of home page content, I immediately tell them my short answer first – no. You don’t need a lot of home content, you really don’t. I know. This might have you squirming in your seat. What about SEO?
There are several sites that show just how easy it is to create leads without having tons of home page content. Some of these sites are Upworthy, Airbnb and Buzzfeed, and none of the sites rely on a long-winded introduction on their home page. They give access to articles or interesting services with a brief blurb, but that’s it. How are they successful with such brevity of home page content, and how can you be, too?
How Can You Get Clicks and Engagement With Hardly Any Home Page Content?
It doesn’t seem possible to get any clicks or engagement on your website if your home page isn’t hosting a lot of information. When you send out your social media posts, you aren’t often linking to your homepage, are you? Most likely you are linking to a blog or product, which means that those are the pages that need the most content and need to really be geared toward getting clicks. Let’s take a deeper look.
Five Ways to Use Your Inner Pages for Content
You shouldn’t be focusing all your attention on your homepage; in fact, you need to focus most of it on your inner content and pages. Here are a few ways to do just that:
- Create Landing Pages for Each of Your Services. I believe it is important for businesses to create multiple landing pages for their products and services because it can help people navigate easier. Here at Express Writers, we have 80 site pages to direct people to our various services because not everyone wants a blog but they might be looking for social media help, or they might need an eBook instead. Whatever their needs, they are able to find a service we provide that can help them because each service has its own landing page. We want to make it as easy as possible because everyone loves when they go to a site and can easily maneuver to their chosen destination.
- Create Blogs Regularly. Another thing we do is write a lot of blogs. We have hundreds out there for you to look at and I make sure that each one is tailored to clients who need information on something particular. This creates even more landing pages, giving people the chance to learn more about EW, what we do, and how we can help them. Usually, after reading a blog, a client is more likely to click on a service and use us for their next content writing project because we showed our knowledge in the content marketing world.
- Write Content of Varying Word Counts. When you write your content, make sure you use varying word counts to provide clients with blogs and content that are in-depth or that are short, concise, and make for a quick read. This is a great way to help promote engagement for your clients, and gives your readers the ability to choose the length of blog they are comfortable reading.
- Get Press Through Social Media or Other Companies. A great way to generate organic traffic is to get more press. While you aren’t going to be able to generate the press similar to sites like Upworthy or Buzzfeed, it is still possible. You can do things such as sending out press releases, sponsoring other sites, writing guest blogs, and of course using social media. This can all help generate more buzz about your company, which will then lead to clicks and customers.
- Get a Content Audit to Maximize Your Inner Content. To make sure you are getting the most out of your inner content pages, consider getting a content audit. This can help you learn what you need to change and tweak to get the best impact while also helping you learn new methods for your upcoming posts and ideas. A content audit doesn’t have to be terrifying, and you can find people to help create the best website possible, providing you with excellent inner content that will generate leads.
Focus On Excellent Inner Content, Starting Now
If you make sure you focus on your inner content instead of squirming over how to make your home page perfect, you will be able to have some excellent content on hand. Of course you want to make sure you have an awesome home page, just remember that you don’t need to have a ton of words discussing your business. Save that for your about page, and consider even featuring those in a blog series about your company.
Julia McCoy is a serial content marketer, entrepreneur, and bestselling author. She founded a multi-million dollar content agency, Express Writers, with nothing more than $75 at 19 years old. Today, her team has nearly 100 expert content creators on staff, and serves thousands of clients around the world. She's earned her way to the top 30 worldwide content marketers, and has a passion for sharing what she knows in her books and in her online course, The Content Strategy & Marketing Course. Julia also hosts The Write Podcast on iTunes.