YouTube is gearing up for the launch of a subscription video site offering exclusive programming, Re/code is reporting.
Content from YouTube’s top creators, funded by the company, will take center stage on the new site, according to the report. YouTube is expected to announce some of the content to be made available to subscribers at a special event Wednesday.
YouTube has been hard at work on its upcoming subscription site for some time. Last year, the firm said it would “fund new content from some of [its] top creators.”
Originally, it was thought the site would launch this month. That timeline has been pushed back, however, and now it is believed the site may not launch until 2016.
In fact, sources told the publication that some of the content YouTube is financing has yet to be created, and likely will not be available until next year.
The company will continue to offer its free, ad-supported site as well and all videos on the free site will also be available on the subscription site. That is why, Re/code is reporting, YouTube has said all video-makers who earn an income from YouTube ads must participate in the subscription service as well.