March 14, 2016
Every time a network updates its timeline algorithms, it sends marketers in a tizzy.
The same is true now for the recent update Twitter made in its timeline algorithm. Now instead of showing tweets in order, they will be displayed according to relevancy.
But don’t let all the outrage and #RIPTwitter hashtags frighten you.
Even though Twitter has reordered its timelines, you can still switch it manually back to the old chronological timeline view in your settings. Simply go into your settings and find the checkbox that looks like this: Ensure it is unchecked and your tweets will be back to chronological order.
Diversify Your Social Media Efforts
The recent ‘TwitterGeddon’ is one reason why it’s important not to put all your social media efforts into just one social media platform.
While you may be winning the game with tons of followers and all your best posts showing in follower’s timelines, it only takes one algorithm shift to change everything.
We’ve seen it happen with Facebook and it could easily happen on any social media channel that business owners use to help promote their businesses.
How to Bullet Proof Your Social Media
So what is one to do? Diversify your efforts.
Here are seven compelling reasons why you should be focusing on more than just one social media channel:
- Smart entrepreneurs, marketers and business owners are discovering that sharing unique content across several social media platforms can smooth out any sudden changes that Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and others may make.
- Posting original articles, quotes, and graphics across various social media channels gives you multiple opportunities to share value with your fan base.
- It’s important to know that different fans “hang out” on their own favorite social networks too. So sharing your advice on multiple social platforms ensures no matter where your fans are online, you can share valuable information with them. Even if you only have time to share one post across multiple platforms, you can reword the post for each platform to make it more interesting and compelling for that particular audience.
- It gives you the opportunity to cross-pollinate and test markets to see which version of the post garners the most engagement. That allows you to ‘test market’ for headlines, images, tone of message etc., which can be used later in promotional copy, landing pages, and ads.
- Posting on several networks allows you to maximize your lead-generation and traffic-driving efforts.
- Since you likely have different followers on each network, posting blog articles, offers, and calls to action on each social network allows you to double and even triple the outreach to potential prospects.
- Sharing unique content on your various networks let’s you nurture fans more quickly. Instead of getting just one marketing touch on Facebook, a raving fan can read your posts on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn and get a mega dose of your expertise. It’s three times the fun.
Bottom line, limiting your business to using just one social media site for your marketing platform is wasting an opportunity to reach more targeted leads.
As the founder, Susan Friesen brings a unique advantage to eVision Media clients by having earned a Bachelor in Business Administration degree with a concentration in Computer Information Systems through the Thompson River's University. Her experience in the Web development industry since 1999 has gained her much insight and knowledge in how to effectively brand a business and then translate that to a user-friendly, search-engine friendly, custom designed website. She is a graduate of the Vancouver Film School multi-media program and also earned several certificates in technology through the University of Victoria and Athabasca University. She won the 2003-2004 Governor General's Bronze Academic Award for achieving the highest academic standing in a diploma-level post secondary program. http://evisionmedia.ca