May 18, 2017
Online entrepreneurs spend a lot of time, invest plenty of money and take several steps to promote their Magento store and generate more and more business. E-mail marketing is one such technique, which is widely used by digital marketing professionals to communicate directly with the targeted customers, advertise the brand and push sales.
As an ardent e-mail marketing expert, you would never create an e-mail to be labeled as spam. That is why you take extra precautions to create user-centric e-mails and dispatch them to your subscribers. However, your problem doesn’t end here. In spite of all precautions, it is not guaranteed that your e-mail will get users’ attention. Because of several reasons, your carefully designed e-mails can be labeled as spam and land in recipient’s junk folders.
But what causes this problem?
These days, people use different e-mail services for personal and business objectives. Every day, they get thousands of e-mail notifications from different companies looking for attention. When users are bombarded with unnecessary e-mails, they use various e-mail filtration systems to control spam messages and junk e-mails.
In fact, spam filter software is programmed with a specific set of criteria to scan e-mails. When an e-mail doesn’t match that criteria, that is termed as spam and is quarantined or deleted.
How to avoid spam e-mails in a Magento store
1. Look into your Server and IP Configuration carefully
First of all, you should make sure that your domain’s SPF record is configured in an appropriate manner. It is actually an e-mail validation system aimed at catching e-mail spammers. It is available in your DNS with a list of all IP addresses and names of the hosting service providers. When it receives an e-mail, SPF record determines its legitimacy and authenticity. Make sure your IP is not used for sending spam e-mails to clients and customers.
Useful Recommendation regarding IP address:
When you host your site on a shared server, the same IP address will be shared among various accounts. This is where you pay for actions of other users. If one of the users (having the same IP address) is spamming, then it will definitely hurt the legitimacy and the authenticity of your account as well.
Therefore, when you operate a Magento website, you should host it on dedicated servers. Dedicated servers have unique IP addresses, which keeps you free from such problems.
Generally, when you send e-mails to subscribers, your mail server applies a signature to all outgoing e-mails automatically. A public key, situated in the DNS records of your domain, checks the realness of the e-mail sender. When you use this method appropriately, the chances of your e-mails being marked as spam will be decreased up to a great extent. Alternatively, you can also use STMP servers to sort out this issue.
2. Take care of e-mail structure
When you send newsletters from your Magento site, spam filters may treat them as spam. Here, you need to modify the text to pass the rigid test of spam filter servers.
You are required to complete the text manually. For this, you may implement the following recommendations:
- E-mail Content Issue: Make sure you use the user-centric content in your e-mail. Content that lacks focus (on users) and clear direction is likely to be marked as spam. Keep it simple and as engaging as possible. Try to keep the length of important quotes from 78 characters to a maximum of 998 characters, as specified by RFC 2822.
- Use Images with extra caution: Most e-mail marketing experts use a single image in the whole e-mail. This, however, can be an indicator of spam. Instead, use appealing images that complement your text content and are beneficial for users.
- Valid HTML Structure: Consult an experienced HTML developer and ask him/her to make a decent HTML structure for your e-mail. Don’t use CSS3 at any cost and stick to simple HTML and tables only.
- Avoid Using Link Shorteners: Link shorteners are widely used by digital marketing professionals to shorten long URLs and make them appealing. But, when you use it in e-mails, they are labeled as spam. It happens when both you and spammers use the same URL shortener in your messages. Therefore, it is wise to avoid using link trimmers.
3. Follow CAN-SPAM Act Strictly
Some e-mail marketing professionals don’t provide unsubscribe links in their e-mails. This is a violation of the CAN-SPAM Act — it is mandatory for all organizations that communicate with customers through e-mails.
As per law, every legitimate company must provide an unsubscribe mechanism in their newsletters, allowing subscribers to unsubscribe whenever they wish. Enabling readers to unsubscribe easily means there is less chance of them relegating your messages to their spam folders.
4. Check Your E-mails Before Final Delivery
Check your e-mails at least two times before sending them to your subscribers. It will help you to avoid embarrassing mistakes such as spelling errors, broken links, etc.
Furthermore, you can use third-party services or tools to determine the spam score of your e-mails. Use them on different apps, Smartphones, laptops and desktops and preview. Recheck the HTML coding of your e-mails and have it corrected if you find anything wrong.
Make sure your Magento e-mails are easily viewed on various mobile and hand-held devices. Collect feedback from your subscribers and implement their legitimate recommendations in e-mails. For this purpose, you can use follow-up e-mail extensions as well.
5. Have A Look At mail Server Too
At last, you need to have a look at the selected mail server and find out if it is offering the service it claims to. There are tools that enable you to check your mail server status in Real-time Blackhole List (RBL). If you find your mail server listed in the RBL blacklist, then you should look for an alternative as soon as possible because all e-mails dispatched through that server will definitely land in the spam folder.
If you implement all the above-mentioned points carefully, then you can rest assured that your Magento e-mails will go in the inbox, not in the spam folder.