February 14, 2018
Content marketing is a powerful, proven way to promote and market your business.
Sure, there’s lots of hype around it (can it really be that cool?) –
But it’s all true.
To put it bluntly, traditional advertising for small businesses is going the way of acid-wash jeans.
Today’s up-to-date, on-trend, relevant marketing = content marketing.
Still wondering if you should buy in? Listen up.
Content Marketing, Defined
Content marketing is a strategy that focuses on creation, distribution, and promotion of helpful, valuable, relevant, consistent content.
This content helps you attract a target audience, keeps that audience invested in your brand, and, ultimately, drives them to take action that profits you.
Content Types: Blog posts, articles, podcasts, videos, infographics, case studies, ebooks, and more.
Content has the unique ability to be relevant for a long time – much longer than fleeting ads. You just have to present good information to rise above marketing trends and fads.
Why Content Marketing for YOUR Business?
It Taps into the Power of the People
You may think traditional ads tap into the power of the people – but you’re wrong.
Ads are forced on consumers, whether they want to see them or not. Few people have the patience for them anymore:
- 54% of internet users say they don’t trust banner ads
- 64% of people say ads are annoying and intrusive
- 75.1 million Americans use ad blockers, as well as about one-quarter of all internet users
Most ads are irritating, and most don’t have longevity. They’re an outdated way to reach your audience, like cassette tapes and rotary phones.
In stark contrast, content marketing draws people in. This is because great content generally aims to improve people’s lives, first and foremost.
The value of content can even increase over time – for example, compounding blog posts can account for 38% of a site’s overall traffic.
People WANT to consume this kind of content:
- 90% of consumers think custom content is useful
- 80% like learning about a company through their custom content
- 82% feel more positive about a company after reading their content
Because of its appeal, content marketing has a circular effect:
- You serve content to your readers.
- Your amazing content leads to higher consumer trust, better leads and sales, and higher rankings in the SERPs.
- Higher rankings lead to more organic content discovery, helping you draw search traffic into your brand’s fold.
All the Cool Kids Are Doing It…
Smart marketers are using content marketing because they know it works.
- 90% of organizations market with content in some way
- 91% of B2B marketers use content marketing
- 86% of B2C marketers use content marketing
…Because It Works! …
- 65% of those who use this strategy said their overall success increased from 2017 to 2018
- 77% of B2B marketers can demonstrate increased audience engagement and increased leads due to content marketing
- Content marketing nets 3x more leads than paid advertising per dollar spent, but costs 31% less
…With the Right Strategy and Dedication, of Course
- Marketers are 538% more likely to be successful if they document their strategy
- They’ll also see 429% better odds if they set goals
So, How Do I Get Started with Content Marketing?
1. Outline your brand goals based on where you stand
Look at your business critically. Where are you standing right this second? Do you have leads? Customers? Where do you want to go from here? Set goals so you can smash them!
2. Find your unique angle
How are you different from your competitors? What’s your stand-out factor? What will make customers choose you?
3. Discover your audience + user-oriented keywords
Who needs, wants, or is looking for what you’re selling? Find them, define them, discover the keywords they’re using in search, and keep them in mind every single step of the way.
4. Create a content plan
With some keywords and your target audience in hand, it’s time to plan your content. Why types will you create? Where will you post? How often?
5. Invest in quality content creation
Do not create content if you can’t commit to high-quality output. Publish the best information you can with the resources you have.
6. Promote and share
It’s time to spread the word. Share your post with your social followers, email your list, and get more traction for your content.