June 26, 2020
Are you feeling less inspired and worried that your digital marketing strategy needs a revamp?
Well, thankfully, many of the top digital marketers are kind enough to dish out their best insights and techniques via their social media channels and blogs.
However, before you hit the “follow” button with closed eyes to any profile that says “digital marketer” in their bio, stop and do a little research to see if they can prove what they claim to be. Still, confused?
To make your job easier, we’ve curated a list of global experts and influencers you should follow for some fresh ideas and to get your creative juices flowing as soon as you wake up and check your feed.
1. Gary Vaynerchuk
Founder of the powerhouse ad agency VaynerMedia, a serial entrepreneur, prestigious keynote speaker, author, and creator of business-themed content online, Gary Vaynerchuk, needs no introduction. But, if that’s not enough to make your eyes pop, go check out his humungous social media following.
Why We Love Gary
Gary’s been widely called an ace social media marketing mogul, and it took years of chasing perfection to earn such a nom de guerre. Gary has a shrewd business acumen and at a very young age he showed how social media and digital marketing could be a pot of gold for businesses.
- Graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Mount Ida College in Newton, Massachusetts.
- Gave a 180-degree turn to his family wine business and saw the company grow from $3 million to $60 million a year through his witty digital marketing tactics.
- He’s also a five-time NY Times bestselling author and a member on a myriad of boards and organizations.
- He trusted and invested in many (now renowned) companies including Facebook, Twitter, and Venmo in their early days.
Moreover, he has written some killer bestselling books that include:
- Crush It: Why Now is the Time to Cash in on Your Passion.
- AskGaryVee: One Entrepreneur’s Take on Leadership, Social Media and Self-Awareness,
- Crushing It: How Great Entrepreneurs Build and Influence-and How You Can, Too.
Where to Find Out More
2. Rand Fishkin
If you aren’t new to the world of digital marketing, then you might have come across a face with an iconic, flashy mustache somewhere on the internet. But, trust us, Rand Fishkin is more than his sense of style.
Rand Fishkin is not just famous for his look, but he has also made a name for himself as the former CEO of MOZ, which is one of the leading SEO tools that digital marketers swear by. If you know about MOZ, we don’t need to give you a reason why Rand is one of the most hailed CEO and marketing influencers.
What We Love About Rand
Throughout his career, Rand has helped thousands to hone up their marketing game. This shows his true dedication towards the industry as well as companies that want to future proof their businesses with the right marketing strategies. He shows how fundamental marketing and marketing technology is to create an innovative business model.
- Quit the University of Washington to join his mother’s small business that became MOZ later.
- In 2018, he left MOZ and founded SparkToro, a software and data company to help people understand data.
- Promoted SEO awareness and marketing improvement through his famous Whiteboard Friday video series, his blog, and his ground-breaking book.
- Don’t forget to read his bestselling book, Lost and Founder: A Painfully Honest Field Guide to the Startup World.
Where to Find Out More
3. Neil Patel
Neil Patel is the ultimate guru of SEO education and content marketing. Famous for his witty, refreshing tone, Neil bombards his readers with one amazing blog post after another, leaving them awed and informed.
Labeled as one of the top 10 digital marketers according to Forbes, Neil constantly strives to come up with inventive SEO ideas. Over the years, he has built several businesses and co-founded Crazy Egg, Hello Bar, and KISSmetrics. But, that’s not all! He also has a remarkable client roster such as eBay, Google, Amazon, NBC, General Motors, Viacom, Salesforce, and Hewlett Packard.
Why We Love Neil
What makes Neil Patel stand out among the rest is that he practices whatever he’s been preaching over the years and turns real talk into real action as the co-founder of all his businesses.
- Graduated from California State University, Fullerton in BA Marketing.
- Co-founded KISSmetrics; Crazy Egg, Hello Bar, and NP Digital.
- Neil was chosen as one of the top 100 entrepreneurs under the age of 30 by then-President Barack Obama.
- Neil co-hosts the ‘Marketing School’, a Daily Podcast with Eric Siu.
- Don’t forget to check out his co-authored Hustle: The power to charge your life with money, meaning, and momentum.
Where to Find Out More
4. Tim Ferriss
Tim Ferriss is another prolific entrepreneur, with a high-traffic blog and #1 podcast that has reached over 100 million listeners. You can easily call him a digital marketing polymath and for good reason because Tim’s been listed under Fortune’s “40 under 40”. When it comes to business books, you’ll find him right at the top with bestsellers like 4-Hour Work Week. He was also one of the early-stage tech investors in 40+ businesses, including Facebook, Duolingo, Shopify, and more.
Why We Love Tim
Tim changed the perspectives of millions through his inspiring story of quitting a 9 to 5 job. He taught how rather than being a slave of the grind, you can be a part of the “New Rich” (a concept coined by Tim) where money should only be a means of living a good life instead of being one’s life’s mission. His ideas also teach us to manage time sensibly and get rid of distractions to stay focused.
- Graduated with a BA from Princeton University in 2000, in language acquisition and East Asian Studies.
- Authored five #1 New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestsellers.
- Tim’s Twitter account was picked as one of “5 Must-Follow Twitter Accounts for Entrepreneurs” by Mashable.
- Tim has also been invited to TED, The EG, E-Tech, SXSW, LeWeb, the Web 2.0 Exposition, and dozens of other events.
- Check out his bestseller work— The Tools of Titans— The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers.
Where to Find Out More
5. Jay Baer
Jay Baer is one of the top-notch digital marketing experts and influencers who lives by the “Turn customers into more customers” motto. He is also the best-selling author of many books and a founder of five, yes, FIVE companies that are worth millions. In addition, he owns a digital marketing agency named Convince and Convert Consulting that helps high-profile global brands, including The UN, Nike, Cisco, Hilton, Oracle, and more.
Why We Love Jay
In the world of digital marketing, smart work is more important than hard work and that’s exactly what Jay tells his audience while using digital technology to build a solid customer service and marketing advantage. Jay is a maestro of engaging and retaining customers. His forte is word-of-mouth and viral marketing because only customers can make a bigger impact on non-customers.
- One of less than 200 living members of the Professional Speakers Hall of Fame.
- Jay is also an inductee into the Word of Mouth Marketing Hall of Fame.
- Founded Convince & Convert, a digital strategy consulting firm that helps brands keep customers.
- Don’t forget to read Jay’s books Talk Triggers, Hug Your Haters, Youtility, Now Revolution, and many more.
Where to Find Out More
6. Shama Hyder
Millennial boss? Technology Titan Emerging Company CEO? Or one of the top 100 young women entrepreneurs? Whatever title you can think of, the title fits her!
Hyder is the founder and CEO of Zen Media that has been recognized by Fast Company as the “Millennial Master of the Universe” and the “Zen Master of Marketing” by Entrepreneur Magazine. Isn’t it amazing how many titles she has under her belt and at such a young age? To top it off, Hyder is also an international keynote speaker, an author, and a media personality.
Why We Love Hyder
Many businesses fail to unlock the potential of social media to retain their customers. Well, Hyder does just that and is quite brilliant at it, too. She’s a millennial who has authored a book on how businesses can successfully utilize social media marketing.
- Graduated from the University of Texas in 2009 with a master’s in organizational communication and technology.
- Featured as an expert on prominent TV networks like CBS and Fox and publications like the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Business Week.
- Made it to Forbes and Inc.’s “30 Under 30” lists
- Authored a bestseller The Zen of Social Media Marketing.
Where to Find Her
In the digital world, the best place to find your ‘guru’ is the internet and all these experts are a great source of inspiration and knowledge. Maybe this list isn’t all-inclusive, but for those willing to level up their marketing game or who are kicking off their quest to be a digital marketing superstar— it’s a good place to start.
Baldwin Jackson is an enthusiastic writer and digital marketing consultant who’s associated with the industry for over 6 years. Apart from taking businesses a notch higher by using his creative and analytical skills lucratively, he likes to play Augmented Reality mobile games, and watch movies and videos on my VR Box—thanks to his reliable and ping-perfect Mediacom internet service.