Email marketing is an essential part of any business marketing campaign. There are some general email marketing techniques that can be used by any business not depending on its niche and that can completely turn your company around:
1. Practice What You Preach: When you send an email to your list letting them know what you are up to, demonstrate to your list that you actually do what you say you do. This will build trust and rapport with your list and will demonstrate that you are a person of your word.
2. Be Consistent: Whatever your timeline is for emailing your list, whether it be once a day, once a week, once a month, etc., always stay consistent with your approach. You can always test what works best for you. Once you find the magic number, however, stay consistent with it.
3. Give Real Value: If you want to create a substantial business for yourself, you need to treat your list like gold. Always give more than you intend to receive. For example, when you write a blog post, notify your list about it and give away good content that you feel will benefit people’s lives. If you follow the other two techniques I have noted above, people will constantly be coming back to check out your stuff which translates into more sales for your business.
There is one essential email marketing technique worth discussing in more detail. No matter what industry you are in, it’s very important to organize effective segmentation of customers based on web analytics.
Your subscribers fall into three broad categories: new contacts, openers, and deadbeats. Your main goal is to turn them into engaged clients. Below are a few useful pointers on how to encourage each of these groups to respond to your email.
Adding new contacts to your list doesn’t mean that you have succeeded in bringing in more business. There are two basic things you need to do to motivate them to buy from you. The first is to find out what they like or spend money on. The more you know about them, the better chance you will have to draw their attention to your products and services. Information enables you to tailor your email to each recipient’s needs, so they find it compelling and informative to read. This is where email marketing software becomes necessary. The second step is to move new subscribers to the list of engaged customers who click on links in your emails, visit your websites and make orders. The key to doing this is introducing newcomer discounts. Create a promo code and send it to new contacts together with a link backed by analytics. This way you can see what pages they visit and add them to the list automatically once they click on the link.
These are the contacts who never open your email. Sending out newsletters to them seems to be a waste of time and money, but you still have a chance to change things for the better. Use email marketing software to create an email where you can ask them to reconfirm their desire to receive newsletters from you. Your subject line should say something like “reconfirm your subscription to….”. If the target subscriber is interested in what you have to say, they will open the email and click on a reconfirmation link. There can be some reasons why they never open your email but, if you are important to them, they will re-confirm their subscription to your service. You can delete all contacts who haven’t responded to your email from your list.
On your segment list, there are subscribers who open your email but never visit your site. Some people view newsletters or emails through the preview pane, and such views are often regarded as opened emails in your monitoring and reporting systems. This gives you a false idea of how successfully your campaign works. Your goal is to encourage these openers to click on the link to your site. With the help of modern email marketing software, you can create an online survey and send it out to these people. By asking them what products and services they would like to hear about more often, you can better understand what they are looking for and tailor your email to suit their needs. Customer-oriented newsletters may help motivate such contacts to click through to your site and even make a purchase.
Segmentation of your email list is an important feature of advanced email marketing software. By identifying who responds to and ignores your email, you can make prompt adjustments and turn new and disengaged subscribers into potential buyers.
Unfortunately, email marketing techniques are frequently abused with too many people sabotaging themselves, preventing them from enjoying the benefits.
Here are some very common mistakes people make:
- Promote products, opportunities, and service and NOTHING ELSE! If you are not giving something of value to your list on a consistent basis, people will not want to be part of your subscribership for very long.
- Writing poor subject lines and text paragraphs that are excessively long. Split up your paragraphs more often and keep your sentences fairly short. Email is something that is usually glanced over very quickly and if you have huge paragraphs with long sentences, your emails will very likely not even get read and your efforts will be wasted.
- Thinking that you have to have perfect grammar and spelling. The main purpose of email marketing is to simply communicate and have a conversation with your list. Don’t fixate too much on proper spelling and grammar.
The above are some of the most general and common problems, but there are many others such as email advertisements mistakes.
Creating an email marketing campaign is very important for every business. Depending on your purpose, email can increase your brand awareness, conversion rates, profits, build a better connection with customers and improve the entire business process.