File compression is the process to reduce the size of a video by simply encoding it. It affects the size of the video from all boundaries like bit rate, video resolution, codec, video format, and many more. Video compression is ideal for individuals who like editing movies, making videos, and creating content. If you want to know how to compress file, then take a look at the information below.
How will file compression help video makers, movie editors, and content creators?
It takes plenty of patience, research, and time to create a collection of your favorite videos. There are several ways through which video compression can be an enormous help for content creators, movie editors, and video makers. To know what they are, take a look at the information below.
1. It will help in saving storage space:
Proper file compression can easily help you store many files within the storage space of your computer’s hard drives. It will reduce around 50% of the original size of the video. But if your files are already in a compressed format, then you will not encounter any difference.
2. The bandwidth and transfer speed:
You need to use the network bandwidth to download a particular file. With the help of bandwidth, the network can transfer data and it is measured in the form of MBPS (Megabits per second). Compressed videos comprise fewer bits of information when compared with the uncompressed files. It will also use less bandwidth when you want to download them. Along with that the transfer speed will also be much faster. If you have 1MBPS of bandwidth available, then it will take around 10-seconds to transfer a compressed file.
3. The cost:
File compression will reduce the cost of storing your files or data. There will be plenty of storage space available when compressing all your files. Having uncompressed files stored in your computer’s hard drive will take up plenty of space, and you need to purchase an extra hard drive to store other files. You don’t need to spend money on a second hard drive. When you download or transfer compressed files, the internet charges will also be less.
Types of file compression available?
The file compression process comes in two types, namely lossy and lossless. Each of them has their technique to compress a file. To know how exactly these two file compression techniques work, check the information below.
1. The lossless compression: Through the lossless compression, you can reduce the video size and then reconstruct the actual file perfectly. It will not throw or eliminate any type of information, but will only remove the repetition. Some of the most common types of formats used under lossless compression are ZIP, PNG for pictures, and FLAC for audio. The lossless formats for videos are pretty rare, as they take up a lot of space.
2. The lossy compression: Under the lossy compression, the video files are reduced by eliminating all the undesired bits of data. This compression is commonly used in audio, image, and video formats, where the appropriate representation is not required. The most common lossy formats are JPEG and MP3.
What are the steps to compress a video file?
Given below are some important steps that you need to follow if you want to compress a video properly. The steps are:
- Open your video converter and add a video that you want to compress.
- Then press the ‘settings’ option and you will encounter all the video details. Then move the progress bar to change the size of the video.
- You can easily preview your compressed video for 20-seconds and resize the video again.
- Once you are all done when the resizing and previewing of the video, you can then click on the compress button, to begin the video compression.
Some of the benefits of file compression
Given below are some of the important benefits of file compression.
- You can easily compress a video without losing its quality both in the MAC and Windows systems.
- Before the compressing process, you can edit your videos by applying effects, trimming, cropping, rotating, adding watermarks, etc.
- With the help of proper file compression, smaller-size files can be uploaded to various video-sharing and social media platforms.
- File compression will help you watch all your favorite videos perfectly on tablets and smartphones.
- You can quickly and easily transfer all your compressed files through emails without any issues.
Tips for a smooth video compression
If you want a smooth video compression, take a look at some of the useful tips below.
- Try filming in slow motion: When you try to film in slow motion, then you can reduce the perceived quality reduction, which is created during compression. It’s because filming in slow-motion will lessen the changes between the frames. By doing so, the codec will utilize more pixels in the frames.
- Use the high bitrate masters: When you are compressing a video, try to use a high bitrate master. Use 20MBPS to 50MBPS, or you can also use much higher than that. This might require storing a huge video, but then it will be of higher quality after compression.
- Remove the audio from the muted videos: If you want to use muted videos, then you can do so by removing audio tracks, which will save you extra storage space. It will also increase the download and upload speed in all your videos. You can accomplish during the time of the actual recording or by using the video editing tools.
- Try to avoid low saturation and contrast: If a video contains low saturation or contrast, it will be difficult for codecs to identify and preserve all information. That is why, it will be better if you use videos that have high saturation and contrast, as it will be much easier for the codecs to identify and preserve the details.
Video compression stands out as an important element for data management, video editing, and streamlining. To make the process easier, using a video compressor like the Uniconverter will be the right thing to do. It is equipped with a unique technology, which makes the software to be 30-times faster than the others. It comes with a versatile toolbox and it will run smoothly on both Windows and MAC systems.