It is impossible to imagine modern video content without animation. Short videos and sketches, short cartoons for 5-10 minutes and full-length films that win prestigious awards along with feature films. Modern technology allows artists to work in a wide variety of styles, from deliberately simple 2D pictures to highly complex 3D animation that looks as realistic as a real film.
Customers face a dilemma: order 2D or 3D Animation.
Features of 2D Animation
Many people believe that 2D animation is dead, giving way to trendy and beautiful 3D. This is not surprising, because even the Walt Disney studio, which gained popularity all over the world precisely on the classic “flat” cartoons, announced the closure of the 2D animation department. The very tapes on which the generation of the 90s grew up are actively re-filmed in three dimensions or even playfully, but is that so good?
A classic example: reworking the excellent The Lion King cartoon. The creators have kept the script, dialogues, visuals and music, changing only the picture. It has become almost a complete imitation of a real movie, expensive and beautiful. The film flopped because, according to most viewers, it lost the warmth and sincerity for which everyone loved it.
Two-dimensional animation has a number of features, thanks to which it will never lose its popularity:
- Great opportunities for creating videos: the features of flat animation allow you to safely experiment with the proportions of characters, their facial expressions and gestures; for example, the eyes of the drawn hero that have expanded to huge sizes will look organic and cute.
- An opportunity to give a reference to the childhood period of the target audience: videos drawn in the classic Soviet style or imitating Disney animations will evoke a feeling of nostalgia.
- The admissibility of the most daring experiments with the style of drawing from the classics to the technique of strokes (as in the acclaimed film “The Old Man and the Sea”) or even sand animation; as a result, the roller can “hook” the consumer with its appearance.
- The ability to revive obviously inanimate objects: food, interior items, etc.; such experiments look most organically on the plane.
- Do not discount the purely technical advantages: flat rollers are made faster and are cheaper than three-dimensional ones.
Features of 3D Animation
Three-dimensional animation has long staked out the proud title of advanced and modern technology. Its various varieties are used to create commercials and educational videos, cartoons and even Hollywood blockbusters. It is unlikely that sensational hits that set box office records would have been possible without a spectacular mixture of game video and three-dimensional animation.
The transition from a planar image to a volumetric one opens up a lot of possibilities. It allows you to combine feature films and animation, creating fantastic special effects, as well as completely render the video on a computer. This is especially true for videos that are designed to tell about a large-scale and voluminous process in paints. Three-dimensional rendering allows you to visualize the action in all its depth, giving the viewer the opportunity to evaluate modern technologies with their own eyes. It is ideal for advertising construction and repair companies, landscaping and piping, prosthetics and cars. There are not just many use cases, but infinitely many.
The transition to 3D is also important when creating image videos. If you need to present a company or its specific product in all its glory, to impress a future partner or client – this will be the ideal solution.
How to Choose between 2D and 3D
When planning a new commercial, the client inevitably thinks: whether to do with the classic flat image, perhaps using a special style of animation, or use modern computer technologies “in full”, creating something beautiful and epic in the style of films about superheroes?
You need to understand that 2D not only has not gone anywhere but has not lost its popularity at all. Do not think that the modern generation prefers an exclusively three-dimensional style, and will not even look towards a relatively simple video. Take a look at the current trends in animation. And https://kevurugames.com/blog/how-to-estimate-costs-and-plan-a-2d-animation-budget-correctly/ will help you to decide exactly and help you with the project.